Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack2794 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

May 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
    What is an ethernet card?
    Hi,

If I buy a pocket PC with an ethernet card does that mean I will be able to access the internet using my home wireless internet connection?

Thank you in advance for the help,

Jack
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 02:31 PM
    No.

An ethernet card allows a computer to communicate with other computers in a network.

You would need a wireless card for internet access.

With a normal card, you will need a service provider with a wireless router or you could get one from the cell providers for satellite access.

May 9, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Oh OK. Just another quick question then - if it connects to another PC in the network that is using the wireless internet connection will it work then?

Thank you for explaining - I'm not good at knowing what all these things do.

Jack
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2008, 03:42 PM
    As long as the wireless connection is available to ALL users on that network, yes.

It will not transfer from one computer to yours.

May 10, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Thank you for your answer again. If I get a pocket PC with wifi will it be able to connect to the internet - I think you can but am not sure...
    Thank you for your help,

Jack
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Wifi means that it already has a wireless card built in but you still need an internet service provider and a wireless router.

If you really want access to the internet just about anywhere, you need the cell carrier satellite card. I think it runs about $99 a month for that service.

WiFi will still require that you be in the range of the wireless router to access the net, the cell service works just about anywhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2 modems (?) - 1 Ethernet Card [ 2 Answers ]

I have a DSL modem and a satellite modem(?). They both require ethernet and I only have 1 ethernet card. I would like to be able to hook both modems up to my system so I can just disable one or the other (when 1 ISP or the other is down) and easily switch between them. From my limited reading it...

Wireless ethernet LAN network PCI card [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a used (Netgear WRG614 wireless router) & a used (Encore 802.11g wireless ethernet LAN network pci card) from Ebay for my desktop with XP Pro & SP2.I have the instructions & disc for my (Netgear WRG614 wireless router) but the (wireless ethernet LAN network pci card) did'nt come...

PDA Ethernet card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a way to connect a PDA to a wired network using an Ethernet cable. I would like to be able to do this without use of any other computer. I do quite a bit of travelling and the hotels I visit don't always have wireless connections but more often have wired networks in the...

Ethernet Card [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find on my PC if I have an ethernet card installed on my PC?

Connect 2 laptop with ethernet card [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have 2 laptop. Each of them has a Ethernet card (I use it to connect to ADSL router to access internet). Can I transfer a file from one lapto to the other through the ethernet card ? I have a cable but I do not how to configure the operation system (Both of them uses Windows XP SP2). ...

View more questions Search