Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    souldreamer Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2012, 08:49 PM
    Depression
    I feel like I don't belong in this world. I always feel the emptiness inside me. I feel so alone. I'm an introvert person. I want someone who can talk to me. I always feel down. I'm so lonely with all the things that surrounds me. I feel hopeless. I want to die. :(
    How can I overcome this depression I feel? What do you do when you're alone and lonely? Do you also have eating disorders like me? Please help me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 12:43 AM
    Get out of the house and do things.

Donate time at a senior center, or nursing home helping or even reading to others.

Get involved in a sport or activity, fitness or something else
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2012, 12:53 AM
    I have struggled with both depression and eating issues. I haven't had issues with what are typically considered eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia, but I am an emotional eater and have had body issues all my life, being overweight.

When you feel that you do not want to live, you need to consider it a medical emergency and go to a hospital or doctor right away. Don't be embarrassed, and know that most people at one time or another in their lives go through a period of depression. If it has gone on for several weeks and you can't seem to shake the sadness, it's probably clinical depression and you can get some great help with it. Depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain, which can be corrected with medication. This can be very helpful because once you get the depression under some control, you will be better able to address the issues that have lead you into depression. Sometimes people start depressed over their circumstances and when the circumstances don't change, or they have trouble processing and getting over what happened, it can actually spiral into a clinical depressive state which requires medication to get out of for many people.

It can be helpful to understand, too, that often when people suffer with these issues, there can be a family history which they just need to address in their own lives; or sometimes, there's a personal history such as a traumatic event or other past hardship, for which there is help available. Some people who have been through tough things, like sexual abuse for example, and then become depressive, and/or find a sense of control in their lives with behaviors like excessive dieting or excercising, are really just doing the best they know how to do to find some control in their lives. It can get much, much better.

So, first, get some medical help for your immediate crisis of feeling so terribly sad. You will find that within a few weeks you will feel so much better, it will be amazing. In the meantime, and even after you start feeling better, you just need to really think of yourself as a person in need of and deserving of your own compassion and patience. Take really good care of yourself.

I was where you are a few years ago and felt there was no hope at all. Today I am happier than I have been in my entire adult life. And you know, my circumstances in life haven't really changed all that much. It's all in perception and what I choose to focus on, the quality of my relationships, particularly how I feel about myself.

This is a hard time of year for a lot of people, so please get some help and just give yourself time. If you feel really lousy, well - spend the day watching movies you love or with a friend or relative who is supportive, or read a great book - it's OK to distract yourself for a while as long as you are also doing what you can to take care of what is probably a medical problem, with a medical solution.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 25, 2012, 04:52 AM
    Tell us more about yourself. Your family, where you live, what you like to do or wish you were doing, pets, music, books, one friend, anything.
    I disagree about running off to a hospital unless you have worked out plans for suicide or feel out of control of the thoughts. Wishing you were dead is a totally different situation, and is best dealt with by talking. Hospitals these days don't do talk therapy. They pump you full of medications and you go to groups that are very structured and designed more for dealing with coping skills.
    I do agree that you should arrange to see a talk therapist, who might connect you with a peer group after a few sessions, where there will be people who feel the same as you, and that sort of talk therapy is extremely helpful, when you know you aren't alone. You might get more actively suicidal during therapy as emotions come out, and you will be expected to be able to tell everyone if you reach that state. They are liable for you, but they are also human, and you don't want to put that burden on them.
    So anyway, for now - tell us more about yourself.
    souldreamer Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Tell us more about yourself. Your family, where you live, what you like to do or wish you were doing, pets, music, books, one friend, anything.
    I disagree about running off to a hospital unless you have worked out plans for suicide or feel out of control of the thoughts. Wishing you were dead is a totally different situation, and is best dealt with by talking. Hospitals these days don't do talk therapy. They pump you full of medications and you go to groups that are very structured and designed more for dealing with coping skills.
    I do agree that you should arrange to see a talk therapist, who might connect you with a peer group after a few sessions, where there will be people who feel the same as you, and that sort of talk therapy is extremely helpful, when you know you aren't alone. You might get more actively suicidal during therapy as emotions come out, and you will be expected to be able to tell everyone if you reach that state. They are liable for you, but they are also human, and you don't want to put that burden on them.
    So anyway, for now - tell us more about yourself.
    Every now and then I can't forget the sexual abuse in my school 2 years ago from now. And I am the victim of bullying... :( My family, hmmm... It's indifference... We are not open to each other. I have friends but not so many.
    What I want to do...
    To throw stones in the sea..
    Because in that way I can throw my sadness emotion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physical Depression more than Emotional Depression [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hard time getting up in the morning, I feel like I have no energy. I'm not just tired but drained of anything to make me get up. I also have been having a hard time remembering things, dizzy spells, nausea and weakness when lifting things. I do have some emotional depression but not as...

My depression [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, it seems that my previous question was too long or confusing to receive any answer. Please help! I have a dating/relationship problem but I've just realized that it's not the main cause of my unhappiness and that my problem runs much deeper. I recently broke it off with my...

Depression or what? [ 11 Answers ]

Well first.. I really spent about 20 minutes trying to work out the best section for this, Still don't know... I can't cope anymore, My relationship breakup has been really hard I sleep only every second day. And Often find myself thinking of ways to end it... My ex is being annoying.....

Depression [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am newly married and we are having problems related to sex. My husband is not able to get excited or gets satisfied easily w/o doing anything . There is no erection so far. He has some mental disturbances also may be due to ups and down in career or he was not able to stick to any...

View more questions Search