Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Lepto vaccine a reaction-
    I took Tuscany last Thursday to the vet. I had been in Boston from Monday until Thursday afternoon visiting my sister. When I got home I could tell that he was not feeling good. He shook his head a lot and was scratching at his ears. I had always had labs growing up, so I was pretty sure that he had an ear infections from all of his swimming. I was right he did. The vet gave me an anti inflammatory to start with and then ear cleaner and an ointment to put in his ears once the swelling went down.

He also suggested that we vaccinate Tuscany with the Lepto vaccine because we camp so much and because he often swims when at my mom's lake house. After asking a few questions I decided that it might be a good idea for him to get it. He got it and everything was fine. However, on the way home Tuscany wanted to lay down and not look out the window (very unusual), then when we got home he went right to his bed. This is not unusual... often after the vet he naps for a bit, gets up and is fine.

I had to go to my dad's memorial golf tournament and speak on behalf of my mom and sister that night, he seemed fine so off I went. However, 2 1/2 hours later when my husband and I got home Tuscany was VERY sick. He had no feeling in his right leg, it just sort of dangled there (his injection was in the right hip). He was lathargic and refused dinner or any water. My husband and I decided that we should call the vet. The on call vet told us that a reaction was not unusual with the lepto vaccine and to just monitor him for any changes. By 9:30 pm he was almost in a coma like state, my normally perky happy dog did not respond to anything. So off to the emergency vet clinic we went.

Once there (and about 3 hours later) the vet game him a shot of steroids and fluids. He told us that it was a severe reaction to the lepto shot, but that we should see an improvement in him in about 24-36 hours. I stayed home with him all day Friday, he slept most of the day, but had his appitite so I figured that was good. By, Saturday he was moving and wanting to play. And finally tonight, I have my puppy back. It is insane how much this vaccine affected him. I swear that he even lost a bit of his muscle mass.

My question is what about the next shot? What if anything can I give him to stop this reaction? I swear to God I thought I was going to lose him. Is this shot worth it? Should I just say to heck with it and take my chances with the possibility that he gets Lepto?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Also- have others had such experiences with this vaccine?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Lepto as the L in DHLPP. A quick check shows my vet gives puppies about 5 of the combos by the time they are a year old. The worst I remember is maybe being a little quiet for the rest of the day. Shots do produce reactions. There are rational people insisting we are at the point of losing more dogs to bad reactions that to some diseases.

I trust the info I find at American Veterinary Medical Association Do a search on Lepto there. I do recognize it may have a pro vet bias. Better a site whose bias I can predict than an unknown one Googled up.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 05:35 PM
    I am so sorry that you had such a scare! I am glad that he is okay now. I have heard of dogs having adverse reactions to various vaccinations but I have not had any experience with a bad reaction. I would think that after this reaction, it wouldn't be wise to ever allow him to get that vaccine anymore. If it were me, I would rather take my chances with the Lepto. I think this is something that you need to discuss with your vet the next time he suggests it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Reaction [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for a person to have an adverse reaction to tylenol with codeine? Could it be fatal? And if so is there any other known cases? These questions mainly focus on codeine and is not overdose.

Can Parvo be caused by a vaccine? [ 5 Answers ]

I adopted a seven week old puppy on 6 January, 2007. He is our only pet, and he was kept in our house, with outside potty breaks only. He had no contact with any other animals during that time. On 16 January I took him to the vet to have his DHLPP vaccination. Later that day, he stopped eating...

Mmr vaccine [ 2 Answers ]

I am 24 and have just had the mmr vaccine, is it normal to have massively swollen glands in the throatand aches and pains?

DHP- parvo vaccine [ 3 Answers ]

How often should a dog need to have a Distemper vaccine?? My dog had a DHP- parvo vaccine on April,06. Does this mean that she had a Distemper vaccine??

Allergic reaction [ 2 Answers ]

Our dachsund got his distemper and rabies shot yeasturday. They said he may have a alergic reation and he is getting lumps that are coming and going throughout his head area. His ears are red on the inside too. Please advise, thank you

View more questions Search