Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budsbrain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 08:56 AM
    In the math problem: 9+(y^2) =(y-4)(y-1) What is y and how did you do it ?
    In the math problem: 9+(y^2)=(y-4)(y-1) , what is y and how did you solve it ?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 09:44 AM

In your mah problem, 'y' is a variable.

Since it is an equation of second order (the highest power is two), this type of equation is a quadratic equation.

However, I'm sure that it will simplify in an equation of first order, and you only need some algebraic manipulation to solve for y.

First, expand the brackets on your right. From there on, you should be able to do the rest. Give it a try and post your answer. :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 10:10 AM

It's a trick question. The final form isn't quadratic at all. It's linear, so it's just algebra.

Note that there is a y^2 on the left of the eqn and a Y^2 on the right, so the (y^2)'s disappear.

Once you solve it, I can show you an EASY way. You need to understnd what your doing before using the easy way, but it's been proven here, that it reduces errors.
    dinesh_ravi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 08:06 AM

well,since this is a linear equation and u obviously would know how to do that,I'll just add a little bit information on how to solve quadratic equations because I am really free now :) hahahaha...
    well,a quadratic equation has to have this format in it:

ax²+ax+b=0

and there are 2 ways of solving it:
    1.using the X method... *basically it's a guessing method where u guess the answers,but this is mainly for simple quadratic equations and it saves times compared to using the formula.
    2.using the formula (which is basically your last resort)

1.what u do is u draw an X and u split the squares on the left...
    lets take the equation x²+4x+3=0
    1,u split the 1st term into 2 but there must be no squares so it both has to have x in it.(its suppose to be one big X by the way it does not have any spaces in between)

x
    \ /
    X
    / \
    x
    2.then,u look at the last term in equation (which is always a number without any unknowns)
    and u think of all the possible factors that gives u the number... in this case its 3 so all u can think of its 1x3 and 3x1
    and u just put it in the right side of the X and u multiply it diagonally and add it together,if u get the number that's in the middle of the equation,that means that's your answer and when you write your answer horizontally,in this case its...

\ /
    X
    / \

so,when u have inserted your possible answers you have to do trial and error,where you must multiply 1 with x and 3 with x,and u get x and 3x and u have to add the 2 products to get the middle term in the equation,if you don't get the middle term you have to chose other factors and try them.in this example,the answer x and 3x is correct so this is how your answer is written... :

(x+1)(x+3)=0

Interpreting this can be tricky you will have to separate it into 2. which is...

x+1=0 and x+3=0

so you will have 2 possible answers which is either
    x=-1 or x=-3...

2.and now for the formula method :)
    for this formula you will have to memorize it,. its

x= -b ± √b²-4ac
    2a

to determine a,b and c,u must look at the whole equation and extract it from there :)

for example in equation x²-4.5x-5=0
    since the first term is ax according to its format,then a=1 and the next is b=-4.5 (your just basically taking the coefficients of the unknown) and c=-5 (do not forget to take the sign along,you could get the wrong answer and lose marks if you missed it)

so then you just substitute it in and split the equation into a plus and a minus :) I'm done hope this info was useful to you all :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Math Problem [ 5 Answers ]

I am having a problem with one equation that is ab-cd=0. I am supposed to solve for c and have been stuck on it. Can anyone help me?

Math problem [ 3 Answers ]

What will be the 12th term of the following sequence if the pattern continues? 3, 7, 11,. Please explian in good detail!thanks

Math problem [ 6 Answers ]

Kyle is a world class tennis player and goes to practice with some bags of tennis balls. Kyle has five bags containing a total of 50 tennis balls. The first and second bags contain a total of 21 tennis balls, the second and third bags contain 20 tennis balls, and the third and fourth contain 21...

Math problem [ 3 Answers ]

A man walked 24,256 meters in two hours. How many miles per hour did he walk. How do you work the problem and show all the work on paper.

Math problem [ 1 Answers ]

The amount of a tracer dye injected into the bloodstream decreases expontially, with a decay constant of 3% per minute. If 6 cc are present initially, how many cubic centimeters are present after 10 minutes? (here k will be negative) Note : Proper working and illustration are necessary.

View more questions Search