Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    electrlte Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Live in NY, work in NY AND NJ
    I lived in NYC all of 2006.

From Jan - Aug, I worked in NY. From Sept - Dec, I worked in NJ.

Is there some way to allocate tax? The freefile sites are calculating that I owe NY around $1000 which seems impossible.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 10:53 AM
    You must pay taxes to NY and NYC for ALL income earned, since you are a resident of NYC and NY state.

You pay taxes to NJ only on the income earned in NJ.

Email me if you need professional help.
    UPSJOHN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2011, 01:13 PM
    I work in NJ and live in NJ, but I lived in New York for 2 months while still working in NJ. My NY w2 show the income for the whole year and owe NY money. Is there something wrong with my w2? Or did my accountand mess up? How can I fix this problem without owing NY $2,000 for a 2 month stay. Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 01:38 PM
    You will NOT have to pay NY state income tax on your entire year's salary.

File Form IT-203 as a part-year resident of NY state and pro-rate your income to the two-months when you lived in NY state. You are REQUIRED to efile this return, so expect a notice from NY state requesting PROOF that you lived in NY state for only two months.

A copy of your apartment lease or closing statement on your house (if you purchased a house) should be sufficient proof.

Mar 10, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Thanks for you answer, but I already did that. My accountant filed the it-203 form and I owe ny close to $1,500 not 2,000 and I cannot understand why? Where is the mistake ? My accountant told me he went based on the w2 .
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Your accountant told you the problem when he said "he went by the W-2".

The W-2 incorrectly shows you living in NY state the entire year. Go back and enlighten him about the facts and tell him to allocate the income based on your actual dates of living in NY state.

If he cannot do it, you need to find yourself another accountant.

Mar 12, 2011, 08:11 AM
    Thanks a lot for your help, I totally agree with you and I will find another accountant .

John,
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 11:15 PM
    Glad to help!

If you want my professional help, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NJ - Work in PA [ 10 Answers ]

I understood that there is an agreement between NJ/PA that residents working in the other state will have tax withheld for their state of residence. My employer followed that until this year. I now have PA state tax & local city tax withheld. They also just switched my sui from PA to NJ. ...

Live in NJ, work IN NY [ 4 Answers ]

This year I received 2 W2's (though I have just one job and one source of income). The Federal data is the same on both W2's. The state data is different, One states NJ in Box 15, They did not exculde the 403(b) contributions and so the number is higher than the federal wages (box 1). The other W2...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

I live in pa and work in nj [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to ask my human res. Here at my job this question but it seems like I am getting brushed off all the time I do not want to be penalized at the end of the year I have been working in this job since march of 2006 we just switched payroll and I get direct dep. So I never bothered looking...

Live in NY work in NJ [ 5 Answers ]

This is the reverse of some recent questions. I was transferred to a NJ office supposedly on a temporary basis. It was recently made permanent. Because of the temporary nature, they never changed my withholding and still haven't contacted me about doing so. So, right now, I only have NYS...

View more questions Search