Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiredoflandlady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Slum Lord
    In April, I moved into my apartment. It is now June and there are letters coming here every other day saying this property is scheduled for sheriff's sale September 9, 2008. My mom told me to start an escrow account until the situation is resolved or just in case I have to move. Is this true? How do I go about this without any problems. I've seen the landlady and her boyfriend arguing and threatening tenants all the time. Do I need a lawyer? PLEASE HELP! MY RENT IS DUE SOON AND I NEED ANSWERS.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2008, 07:18 AM
    It would help to know where you live. But, unless you live in California, then you are required to pay your rent normally until you are officially notified that the property has changed hands. If not, you can be evicted.

The current mortgage crisis has caused many problems like this. Landlords finding themselves in a bind and can't afford to keep up the mortgage even by renting. Once the property is officially foreclosed your lease is void.

The reality though is that you will be given time to find a new place. The new owner, might even help by "paying for keys". So I would continue to pay your rent as prescribed in your lease.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 07:18 AM
    If you do not pay the rent, the landlord can evict you.

With that said, some have done what your mother has suggested, explain to the landlord that as soon as the foreclosure is complete, and he is again the owner of the property in good standing, you will pay the full amount due.

Should he not cure the foreclosure, you will need the money to relocate, and or pay the new owner if they will allow you to continue to rent the property.

You do, as I said, run the risk of eviction in doing this.
    tiredoflandlady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 01:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    It would help to know where you live. But, unless you live in California, then you are required to pay your rent normally until you are officially notified that the property has changed hands. If not, you can be evicted.

The current mortgage crisis has caused many problems like this. Landlords finding themselves in a bind and can't afford to keep up the mortgage even by renting. Once the property is officially foreclosed your lease is void.

The reality though is that you will be given time to find a new place. The new owner, might even help by "paying for keys". So I would continue to pay your rent as prescribed in your lease.

I live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Well the great thing about apartments, is that someone is going to buy them, even the bank if they foreclose will want tennants to be paying rent, so unlike private homes, I expect you will keep a place to live there.

In PA you can not stop paying rent until they no long own the property, I would put Sept in escrow to see who actually owns it at the day of the sale..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama's slum lord arrested today [ 7 Answers ]

The Associated Press: Indicted Obama Fundraiser Rezko Arrested Here is a pix of Obama's slumlord with friends : http://patriotpost.us/news/images/the_clintons_with_tony_rezko.jpg Sorry ;couldn't find any pix of Rezko and Norman Hsu . Just got to wonder how many Justice Dept. hacks...

My land lord [ 2 Answers ]

M landlord has got a eviction letter on the property in which I'm living with my two kids and partner ,from county court , because he didn't pay his mortgage on time from last 6 months and I'm renting his property, so kindly tell me what I should do ? And where to go? And for more information my...

Slum Landlord in Wisconsin. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi- I live in Wisconsin and have rented an apartment where my lease is up on May 31st (1 year). I gave 60 days written notice on April 2 stating that I was vacating and why (faulty facilities and broken down repetative elevators) and would pay rent for April and May. I received notice back in...

Land lord entry [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I went away for a month and I spent a lot of time worring that the landlord would enter my apartment well I was gone (it happened with a preveous land lord) I was just wondering if she could do that because I was not there for her to give any notice to if she wanted to enter the apartment...

View more questions Search