Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DANNYDAVE1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 02:25 PM
    NYC employer and NJ resident employee
    I live in New Jersey and work in New York city. I know that I'm subject to New York STATE income tax. As a ny non-resident, am I also subject to New York CITY income tax?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 02:41 PM

No - the NYC tax is for residents only. Since you live in NJ and work in NYC you are subject to NY State and NJ taxes, but not NY City resident tax.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 12:57 AM

If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state. So you must file NY state return.

To NJ you must report your worldwide income for the year. Since you paid taxes to NY, you will claim credit for those taxes on the NJ tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer Taxes for OPT employee [ 8 Answers ]

I am an employer and have an employee working on OPT. I don't withheld social security and medicare taxes from the employee paycheck. Do I need to pay employer portion of social security and medicare taxes even though I don't withhold these taxes from the employee paycheck? Alsodo I need to...

Employer w/holding money from employee check [ 14 Answers ]

Can an employer with hold money from an employees check without the employees consent? Is it legal? Is it legal for your company to with hold money from your paycheck, if they think you spent too much money while traveling for work? They are with holding money from his paycheck because they...

Employer discussions of employee actions [ 2 Answers ]

I serve as a member of a board of directors for a non profit corp. We discussed the actions of our only employee and when he found out about it he resigned and is threating to sue us for slander. The actions were witnessed and the discussions were totally between the board members only. Can't...

FICA Tax must paid by employer or Employee? Is there any excemption in it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am on H1B visa , working in GA. 1. does the FICA tax needs to be paid by the employer or by employee? 2. is there any exemption based on annual income? If yes what should be the yearly income to get rid of FICA tax? I am curious to know the answer for these Payroll...

View more questions Search