Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mqlgap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2007, 01:19 PM
    When my wife has to enter US to be claimed as my tax dependent exemptions
    HI, there,

Just a question regarding to tax dependent. My wife and I married outside US this year. She is planning to take the visa interview on Dec. Can she be count as my tax dependent exemptions for my 2007 tax return if she enters US before 12/31/2007?

When will she be eligible to be claimed as dependent? What procedure I need to do before my 2007 tax return?

Thanks a lot in advance. I owe everybody a beer!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 01:32 PM
    From everything I have ever know about claiming
    The person has to have lived in your house for at least 6 months and nobody else can claim them.
    I doubt you can claim someone that has lived in another country most of the year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 09:19 AM
    NoHelp4U's advice is flawed.

If you are married to your wife before 31 December 2007, you can file jointly with her IRRESPECTIVE of her physical location. She could be on the moon for all the IRS cares.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing for H4 - dependent - Wife and Son [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Tax Expert. I am in USA since 28Nov 2005 till today , Well my wife and my son joined me in USA on 24th May 2006. They were here till 20th Jan 2007. Since my wife and son are on H4 they couldn't get SSN. My concern is how should I get Tax Id for them and Is there a separate procedure to...

1099 -R, Where to enter the gross distribution and tax withheld [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am filing F1040 . I received 1099-R (Distribution from pensions, annuitites, retirement or profit-sharing plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.). My question is 1) where to enter gross distribution and federal income tax withheld. Line 15a & 15b of F1040 (asks about IRA distribution)...

Dependent exemptions when H1 - H4 - H1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My wife was initially on H1-B working in MD and then moved to GA to look for a job after wedding. She shifted to a H4 visa and then to H1 again after getting a job. She was on H4 dependent visa for around 4-5 months. Is there any option wherein I can claim extra expenses for that 4-5...

ITIN for my Dependent Wife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US for the first time on Auguest 28th 2006. I am on L1 visa and I have my wife and Child along with me. For IRS tax filing for 2006 , what is my status --Resideint Alien or Non Resident Alien ? Do we (me and wife) need to file Jointly? If yes while filing online , its...

What do I do if my mother in law claimed my wife? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my wife had gotten married on dec. 18 2006 and her mother claimed her yet so did I I thought she could not claim her because she is my wife what do I do?

View more questions Search