Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magapova Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 01:34 AM
    Income Taxes from an Internship Abroad
    Hello, as part of my master's program, I did an internship program in Switzerland. The money I earned was strictly for living expenses, relocation, etc. I was taxed on the income in Switzerland. How do I claim this income in the US without being double taxed? Also, the University made it clear this was not a salary, because our internships were to be non-paid, per say.

Thanks for your help.

magapova
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 2, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magapova
    Hello, as part of my master's program, I did an internship program in Switzerland. The money I earned was strictly for living expenses, relocation, etc. I was taxed on the income in Switzerland. How do I claim this income in the US without being double taxed? Also, the University made it clear this was not a salary, because our internships were to be non-paid, per say.

Thanks for your help.

magapova
    I assume you are a US citizen or resident? Who paid your fellowship - if it was from the US it seems that it should not have been taxed in Switzerland.

If you are taxed in Switzerland, claim a foreign tax credit here.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 01:18 PM
    In my opinion, the fellowship is exempt from U.S. income taxes. Hence, it would be real hard to claim the Foreign Tax Credit unless you other sources of taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Part year Income abroad [ 8 Answers ]

In 2006, I was in India for first 3 months & then came to US on L1 with same employer. On my W2 only US income is mentioned. Do I need to pay US taxes for only US income or do I need to convert 3 months of indian salary(already taxed at India) to US dollars & add to my total US income ? If I have...

Internship and income tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a college student who did an internship in New Jersey but I live in Connecituct. Out of my income, a deduction was taken for meals. Also New Jersey state taxes were taken out of my income. I have no other deductions. How do I go about filing my income tax?

US Citizen filing taxes and my wife lives abroad [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. citizen and my wife resides in Saudi Arabia. I'm in the process of bringing her here. I'm filing my taxes right now and I want to file as "married/filing joint". Since she doesn't have an SSN, is the ITIN the only thing I need to apply for? Also, where can she notarize the copy...

Taxes for other income [ 1 Answers ]

One of my relatives, a green-card holder, provides babysitter for my 9-years-old son during this summer break. I have full-time job, while she does not work. I will pay her $2000 in total, and she helps me from 9am to 6pm every day. Do I need to file something related to taxes? For example 1099,...

View more questions Search