Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KAUAIboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Added gas instead of diesel
    I'm a native Hawaiian and live on Maui. Over a year ago I accidentally put gas in my 2002 7.3 turbo diesel. Not realizing what I had done, I drove approx. 4 mi. and then parked it in my drive way wondering what went wrong. Next day I looked at my receipt and it said "regular gas". Anyway it was towed to the Ford dealership where I bought it. They billed me for r&r fuel tank and drain, purging fuel lines, and replacement of fuel filter ($1000) :( . It always runs beautifully :) until the fuel gauge hits the quarter tank mark. Then it starts to gradually run bad, to really bad, as it gets lower in fuel. Two days ago it was the worst ever. Just went bad from 0 to 10. Fortunately I was close to a gas station so I could fill-er up. Even after filling up ($100) it still ran badly for about 1/3mi. It was running as though it was still running on gasoline instead of diesel. Needing answers on Mauil!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 03:35 PM
    I would disconnect fuel line, hook to tank and pump out, with your electric fuel pump. Can only dilute, change fuel filter and drain into clear glass jar, and let sit/seperate. Possibly an additive may help. Hope you don't have full tank.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Two simple things need to be done (in this order):
    . Purging water from the fuel tank, and
    . Changing the fuel filter (do every 10,000 miles).

Purging Water from the Fuel Tank

Tools needed:
    . 13 mm wrench

Parts needed:
    . Small piece of hose

1. There is a small yellow/green lever, left and rear of the black circle cap. Attach hose to the small outlet near the lever and route the other end into a can. Push the yellow/green lever away and to the right to open the valve. Turn key to ON. Watch runoff from the hose and turn key OFF, when diesel fuel starts to run out.
    2. Close lever by pushing lever to the right and towards you.
    3. Start engine--it is self priming, so it should start quickly or within a few cranks.
    4. Fuel tank is now purged of water.

Changing the Fuel Filter

Tools needed:
    . Fuel filter wrench or two Vise-Grips
    . 13mm combination wrench or deep socket

Parts needed:
    . Fuel filter

1. With the 13 mm wrench or socket, remove two plastic coated nuts holding the black cover on the engine. Do this while the engine is cool.
    2. Remove black cover.
    3. With the filter purged and using the wrench, remove the black cap by turning counter-clockwise. If you do not have a wrench, place one of the Vise-Grips on one of the fins sticking out from the center-ring on the cap. Place the other on the fin directly opposite it. Grab both grips like a large screwdriver and turn counter-clockwise. The cap should come off with a little force.
    4. Remove the old filter and o-rings from the tub.
    5. Make sure the tub is clean and free of debris.
    6. Place new o-ring on the filter and drop new filter in the tub. Generally, it can go in only one-way.
    7. Place new gasket on tub-ring and screw cap clockwise. Make sure cap is secure.
    8. Replace black cover on engine and tighten nuts. Start engine. It is self-priming, so it should start quickly or within a few cranks.
    9. Fuel filter is now changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Having you URL added to favourites ? [ 2 Answers ]

When people visit my webpage I would like to give them the possibility to add my URL automatically to their favourites ? (With the Microsoft IE function) How do I facilitate this from the program I use i.e. Netobjects Fusion ? Now they see only 'Home'

View more questions Search