Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Balloons33 Posts: 85, Reputation: 4

Jun 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
    What does te Bible say about.
    What does the Bible have to say about Marijuana smoking?

I would love to know if it's a sin (I assume it is) and why... if anyone could help I would appreciate it! Thanks .
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Seed of the Earth. Must be OK. Sin is in the mind of the beholder. I'm not a religious expert, by any means.
    Balloons33 Posts: 85, Reputation: 4

Jun 21, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Seed of the Earth. Must be ok. Sin is in the mind of the beholder. I'm not a religious expert, by any means.
    Interesting... that's what I was hinking too, but I would think there was some scripture about it. Hmm...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Of course you are going to find people who say that since marijuana is a natural plant, that God created it, so it must be okay to use. The following site is used by many advocates of marijuana indulgence - Marijuana and the Bible

From the following: What does the Bible say about doing drugs?
    "We are under a universal mandate to respect and obey the laws of the land (Deuteronomy 17:2; Ecclesiastes 8:2-5; Matthew 22:21; 23:2-3; Romans 13:1-7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-17; 2 Peter 2:9-11). The ONLY instance in which we are allowed to disobey the laws of the land is when the laws violate any divine imperatives (Daniel 3 and 6; Acts 5:29). There are no other exceptions to this rule. Contrary to popular belief, simply disagreeing with a law does not constitute a license for breaking that law."

Our bodies are to be the temple of God. We usually think of a temple being a building. However, humans are God's temple. If someone has submitted their life to God, He will live in them. He will be their God and they will in turn be His people. The New Covenant spoken of in the Bible is a contract between a person and God to promise to live His way of life. God looks into the temple as it were, the flat part of the face in a human, and welcomes those who by their conscience and actions have been keeping themselves separate from idols, darkness, the ways of the world and Satan the devil, the god of this world (Ephesians 2:2).

If you want to indulge in marijuana and be in line with a particular Churches interpretation of Scripture, then check out the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church. Marijuana and the Bible

You can always find articles and groups that support the use of cannabis in the Bible. I personally do not agree with them. But here is another article - Cannabis in the Bible
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jun 21, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Think of it this way. Are you more likely to lessen your inhibitions and possibly do things that the Bible does say are wrong? The Bible does speak of people who were drunk. Not marijuana because this was not a temptation during Biblical times.
    Gal. 5: 21
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    I would say that we are more likely to be involved in things that are not Godly when high or drunk and so it would be a sin.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 21, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloons33
    What does the Bible have to say about Marijuana smoking?

I would love to know if it's a sin (i assume it is) and why... if anyone could help I would appreciate it!! Thanks .
    Having smoked pot heavily for many, many years, I believe that I can answer this without reservation. I was raised in a Baptist household but when I was thirteen (1973) the pressure from the southern California crowd I went to school with and hung out with became too much for me to bear. I began messing with alcohol, pot, and cigarettes. By the time I was 17, I was a full on hippy with hair down to my buns, a pot leaf earring, big bell bottom Levis, and scruffy facial hair. I'm sure you don't care to hear my life story but I just wanted to qualify myself.

Pot, simply put, makes you dumber than a rock. If I and a cucumber had a who's-the-biggest-vegetable contest, I would have won hands down. It causes smart people to be stupid and stupid people to be more stupid. That's a fact Jack.

God created mankind and gave him tools for survival in an imperfect world. The most important tool He gave us is our brain. Pot effectively neutralizes the brain's ability to function in any greater capacity than a mud fence. I was able to do a few things. I could drive to the store to get more beer and I was able to roll another joint but if you asked me anything about current events I would mumble some inane, mumbo jumbo and change the subject.

Christ is a Christian's example for living. Christ never altered His brain waves with mind altering chemicals.

Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (if you are a Christian) and it should be treated as such. Pot defiles the temple.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 21, 2007, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Seed of the Earth. Must be ok. Sin is in the mind of the beholder. I'm not a religious expert, by any means.
    Nightshade is also "seed of the earth" but will kill you in an instant. Just because something is "natural" doen't mean it's meant for man's consumption. Would you eat the first mushroom you came across on a mountain trail?
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Jun 21, 2007, 07:32 PM
    As long as it is illegal it is a sin. According to the Bible we are supposed to obey the law of the land & authorities.
    Having said that, if one uses marijuana for medical reasons-where they get an RX for it- then that is OK.
    Too much of anything is no good. If a drug(even legal) interferes with one's responsibilities- instead of helping the person- then they have a drug problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

Is the Bible divine? [ 10 Answers ]

Just for my curiosity, What is it that makes the Bible the divine word of GOD? As it was written by men (many) how do we know it is the word of GOD? What credibility do the man who wrote it have? Is this the only word of God?

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible question [ 119 Answers ]

:) Hello everyone, I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things? Thanks, Happyperson

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search