Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennie83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 08:25 AM
    I can't figure out my plecco breed (fish)
    Hi, just wondered if anybody would beable to tell me what breed of plecco I have? Some have told me tiger, king tiger and I have also been told some sort of sun plecco? I bought him for £15 but the place I got him from thought he was a new breed (priced at £40) until they were informed buy somebody they thought he was a king tiger so the price was dropped. Sorry about the quality of pics but I have tried to put on as many as possible. Many thanks if you can help.
    Jennie
    Attached Images

twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 08:38 AM

He looks like the kind of plecco that is sold in the USA. Nothing fancy about him. By the way, this fish is originally from the Amazon River. A friend of mine showed me a video he had made while he traveled down the Amazon River. The fish he and a friend were holding up was this exact fish - but the fish was about 5' long and weighed well over 100 pounds. These innocent looking pleccos can and do reach large lengths and weights. They do have to be over 10 years old to get that big though. I've had pleccos that were 2 feet long in less than 5 years in my tank. Very hardy fish able to withstand just about any kind of water as they live in fresh to brackish water in the Amazon River. And yes, the huge plecco in the video was a vegetarian.
    Boots011 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2010, 12:28 AM

It looks like a HiFin. It's definitely not a common pleco. I haven't heard of a king tiger before. I hope you have room for him. You should always research before you buy.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2010, 10:26 AM

I have a HiFin pleco and I hope to God he doesn't get 5 feet long... Geez...
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jan 3, 2010, 10:51 AM

I've never herd of a king tiger pleco either.

Joy
    Boots011 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2010, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    I have a HiFin pleco and I hope to God he doesnt get 5 feet long... Geez....
    HiFins won't get that big. Maximum is probably a foot and a half, given the room to grow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

I can't figure out my fish breed and sex [ 3 Answers ]

I have two fresh water fish they are both the same, one is lighter than the other, they are about 5" long. I also would like to know their sex so I can name them accordingly :)

Trying to figure out what other breed my Beagle mix is. [ 8 Answers ]

I am having trouble deciding what other breed my Beagle is mixed with. A lot of people who first see her thinks Pitbull. Does anyone else have an opinion? These were the best pics that I have right now. Shannon

I can't figure out my dog's breed. [ 11 Answers ]

He is about 4 years old, male and he has yellow coating.. His front legs are very muscular and his chest is allso very muscular, he's very active, alltho he was pretty shy of the camera, he gets gelous when I give attention to any other dog.. at least that's what I think it is.. He didn't got...

Please help me figure out what Maggie's breed/s could be. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there... I have a darling, endearing 1 year old pup (Maggie May) of which I swear she's Jack Russell, at least partially - with her extremely long legs, long neck, thin stature and fun personality. However, she has a dark under belly and a blonde/buff/golden coat which suggest another breed in...

View more questions Search