Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chloelang Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2009, 09:05 PM
    Fish and swimbelly
    I have 3 fantail goldfish. The fish most recently added about 2 months ago has recently had a black mark showing up on one of it's side fins (coming out of the side of the fish). I had problems with this before with other goldfish and actually lost 2 fish to it. I thought it was a parasite so I had treated her with a parasite treatment. The fish don't seem stressed but the black marking is not going away. The mark isn't getting any larger but I'm concerned because I don't want it to get worse, or infect my other fish. Any ideas?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2009, 01:08 PM

There is nothing wrong with your fish hon. Its very common for a fish to change color when their environment changes. I once got a gold fish who was complegely gold color, and then once I got him home, he slowly changed to white. And several of my breeding friends had fish who would be one color, and then change color for no reason at all.

If you are truly concerned about it, take him to a vet. Even if you can't find a fish husbandry vet, all vets have basic knowledge.

Good luck hon. Letme know what's going on and if anything changes.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2009, 05:00 PM

Just a little story to add to Jennies answer, I have 2 goldfish and one of them was almost pure white when I bought him with a little orange spot right between his eyes.
    A year later he is almost completely gold with just a little bit of white underneath his belly.
    Fish change as they get older and/or their environment changes.
    Back when we had Discus they used to change color all the time, so much so we would get them all mixed up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is my fish doing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have 3 cichlids and lately when I come into my room to feed them I notice that my blue one will swim up to my red one and the red one will start to almost shake. It almost looks like it's having a seizure. They don't ever look like they're fighting, although I know that cichlids are aggressive...

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

Do fish get fat? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 mollies and a plattie. My white molly has gotten quite fat. Can they gain weight if over fed or do you think it's pregnant? I didn't ask at the pet store if I was buying males or females and the 2 mollies were out of different tanks. The black and white one has stayed the same size and so...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search