Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 4, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Fish Compatibility
    Hey guys, I have a 10 gallon tank. And in it I have two African Dwarf frogs, A female guppy, a small black mystery snail and a platty.

Last week I lost two fish.:( One died and the other was eaten after I purchased a Jack Dempsey Cichild from Walmart. The tank said they were community fish but they obviously aren't.:mad:

Anyway I was looking into getting another fish. I saw one I really liked, a Dwarf Gourami. So are these fish community fish and are they compatible with my african dwarf frogs,female guppy,snail and platty.

Thanks, Alee&Rex
    TheCompromiser Posts: 77, Reputation: 17

Nov 4, 2009, 12:47 PM

Whoa! Someone said the Jack Dempsey was okay! That's crazy. I worked at petsmart for two years, and that is a BIG NOOOO! Okay, let me break it down for you... You have a few classifications of fish these are, Goldfish, tropical fish, Semi- aggressive and Cichlids. Only alike kinds will mix. Even though golfish and tropical fish are nice, the goldfish will raise the ammonia levels in the tank, and because tropical fish are sensitive, they will die! Gouramis are kind of border line between tropical fish and semi aggressive. Meaning, they are able to hold their own with semi aggressives, and are not that aggressive themselves. It actually depends on the individual fish and how aggressive he is. You have a tropical tank, so I would stick to that kind of fish without trying to risk anything.

A suggestion of fish that will do good with your tank:
    More guppys or plattys, or neon tetras (you'll have to get three or more, as they are schooling fish, but they are a very nice addition!) If you have a pet store in you're area, such as petsmart or petco, you really should go there. I know from my own experience and that of my customers, at Walmart, they do NOT know how to even care for their own fish! They give them chemicals to brighten the fishes color, and then the fishs life span is decreased! Its horrible!

Good Luck!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Compatibility [ 2 Answers ]

What is the compatibility for a libra female and a cancer male?

MFT Compatibility [ 13 Answers ]

PC has been partitioned into two drives. The one where the OS resides C: is NTFS, but it also has a D: drive that is FAT, where the system restore points are kept. Is this normal? Does this cause problems, with this configuration? Are the restore points compatible when used to restore?...

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search