Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red_101au Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 12:25 AM
    Fish Tank Concerns
    Hi...
    Hope someone can answer something that has been bothering me for a few weeks now

I have a 240 ltr tank with one Cichlid (Tiger Oscar) resident, I have had him for about 4 or 5 months now and he seems to be healthy and happy... he enjoys coming to the glass and watching my every move... he will even follow my fingers on the glass and if I put my face near the glass he tries to lip lock with me.

I use the API Master Test Kit and the readings remain fairly constant

Ph Low = 7.6, Ph High = 7.8, Ammonia = 0.0 ppm, Nitrites 0.0 ppm, Nitrates = between 5 and 10 ppm... still quite acceptable for Oscars.

Filtration System: Jebo 838 4 tray

OK the problem: in the past few weeks the water seems to be constantly cloudy and mostly has a light yellow / green tinge to it. Although all water tests indicate all readings are within normal and acceptable parameters.
    I have performed regular weekly water changes of 30%... but the water stays cloudy.

About 4 weeks ago, the water was looking pretty dirty almost too dark to see into, so I performed a 100% water change, where I totally scrubbed the tank and removed the gravel and stones and thoroughly washed them, I then decided to separate the stones and disposed of the gravel and only replaced the stones and rocks.
    Would this have caused me to loose any and all beneficial bacteria that would have been in the tank?

I also rinsed out the filter sponges and ceramic tubes in a bucket of the water I removed from the tank... which I then put back in the filter canister.

OK short question... is my tank cycling again?
    or is this some other problem? I have thought about a bloom of some kind... but I have restricted his food to every second day to reduce any possibility and the tank light has not been on for a week and it gets very little natural light into the tank.

thanks in advance
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 12:30 AM
    Greetings and WELCOME to the site, red_101au!

I moved your question out of Introductions to this forum topic area so that it will be more likely to be noticed and addressed by those who are best able to answer it. Your question will get noticed much more here.

Introductions is for people to introduce themselves only, and we try to not ask questions there. We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little bit about yourself, if you would be willing to do that.

It can take awhile to get used to how to use this site!

Thanks!
    red_101au Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 12:39 AM

Hi Thx for the welcome... yes sorry I didn't realize until after I posted that I had posted in the introductions area... again I apologize. I was just in the process of trying to find the pets section and place it in there and remove the first entry.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 12:49 AM
    Hey, that's okay, red_101au!

Like I already said, it can take awhile to get used to how to use this site.

Now, it's just a matter of waiting until the right person comes along to address your question! That could take awhile though, because of the time of day and that fact that the best people to answer your question might not even be online here now.

Not only can it take awhile to get used to how to use this site, but using it can also take a bit of patience!

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 01:07 AM

I believe your answer is here: White, Green and Yellow Cloudy Aquarium Water

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

Cloudy fish tank [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a 28litre tank and have been running it for two days now with no fish in.I use the filter that came with the tank and have put nutrafin water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.but when I got home today the water was cloudy . Is this normal and will it go away and when will...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

View more questions Search