Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bruce023 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Most of my golfish swim updide down sometimes
    Hi

Grateful if you could advise please. Most of my goldfish swim upside down. And when I'm cleaning the tank, should I be able to change all the water tank?

Thanks
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 11:22 AM

When doing a water change you should never change more than 50% of the water, less is recommended.

The water in the tank grows good bacteria which the fish need, if you remove all of the water then the cycle has to start all over again.

I am far from a fish expert but usually swimming upside down means something do to with their swim bladder.
    Green peas are the easiest way to help treat it.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Aug 4, 2009, 07:43 AM
    I'm thinking your fish have a problem with their swimbladder.
    Green peas work well but sometimes the fish don't like to eat them.

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyluo1999 View Post
    I'm thinking your fish have a problem with their swimbladder.
    Green peas work well but sometimes the fish don't like to eat them.

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    Joy, just repeating what others have already said isn't helpful.

Please only post if you have something new to add.

Thanks.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Aug 5, 2009, 01:32 PM

Just an example of what happens when you change all the water in the tank. I did that not knowing that you are not suppose to do that and killed almost all of my fish. I didn't just do that to one tank I did it to all 3 tanks, I now have only one tank as the fish are gone and now I have to spend the money to replace all the fish.
    Now I know that you are only to do a 10% change at the most once a week, every 2 weeks is better. Once every 6 months do a 50% change, to keep a very healthy tank. I have 6 more months to go before I can add any more fish, bummer. Also in order to have a healthy tank you need waste eaters. They keep your tank clean for you, to a point you still have to vacuum 10% of the water out.
    Juicy Buns Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 04:23 AM

As mentioned, swim bladder problems are a common cause of floating fish, especially in fancy varieties with deep bodies, but a swim bladder rarely malfunctions for no reason. High nitrate levels are the main cause of these problems. This suggests to me that your tank may have cycled but you're not doing enough water changes. Once you have enough beneficial bacteria in your filter, the ammonia your fish excrete will be converted to nitrite, then to nitrate and it's this nitrate that we aim to remove in weekly water changes.
    25% weekly is the general rule of thumb but to remove the high levels you already have in your tank, I'd do a 50% change this week and 25% every week thereafter. Fasting for a day and feeding shelled peas will definitely help in the short term too.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 19, 2009, 04:28 AM

You can get strips to test the ph and nitrate levels in the tank at pretty much any store that sells pet supplies. You can also usually find books on goldfish care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do all fish swim upstream? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm doing research on eccentrics and have heard that all fish swim upsteam, and not with the natural flow. Is this correct? Taniarts

Baby swim [ 2 Answers ]

What age could you take baby swimming?Is it best to wait till they have had all their injections?:confused:

Embarrassed to swim [ 5 Answers ]

I've loved swimming ever since I was little. I've had a wide number of weight problems and emotional problems and am currently 5'3" and 257 lbs. I decided to start an exercise program and joined the local YMCA a few days ago. I bought a swimsuit, swimcap, goggles, lock, etc. I'm ready to begin. The...

White oranda golfish [ 8 Answers ]

:eek: hi, I have an oranda and his/her when is white and so is the rest of him/her... but recently a red dot has developed on his/her when... looks like a pimple but I'm not sure... its been there for about 2 days... im worried... are there fish doctors? What should I do? And does anyone know what...

New swim suit. [ 3 Answers ]

I've looked many places for a new bikini. I've seen things I like but nothing that I totally love. So if anyone finds a good site please let me know. To help you out here are a few details: last year my suit was light blue so I can't wear anything that color, I would prefer a top that has a...

View more questions Search