Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 6, 2009, 11:22 AM
    I don't have a lot of algae in my tank and I have a apple snail.
    I'm not sure that my apple snail will get enough food to survive. Can I feed it vegetables until I get some algae disks?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 02:49 PM

Snails don't need that much food to survive. When you get your algae pills for the snail may I suggest you ask the pet store to recommend some aquatic plants as well that the snail can eat? I would not introduct any veggies into the water as it may upset the delicate PH balance in the water.

Jul 6, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Snails don't need that much food to survive. When you get your algae pills for the snail may I suggest you ask the pet store to recommend some aquatic plants as well that the snail can eat? I would not introduct any veggies into the water as it may upset the delicate PH balance in the water.
    Yes, I know they eat aquatic plants but at the pet store I go to, the aquatic pants are in very bad condition and they only have a few of them wich are all the same kind.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 04:13 AM

We never had real plants or algae food when we had our snails.
    I guess they just eat the flake on the bottom of the tank same as the catfish did.
    Darn things bred like crazy and took over the tank :eek:

Jul 7, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    We never had real plants or algae food when we had our snails.
    I guess they just eat the flake on the bottom of the tank same as the catfish did.
    Darn things bred like crazy and took over the tank :eek:
    I was told that they breed very quickly so I only got one.:):):):):)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:21 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with apple snails, however I do know that they will be OK if they have to go a little while without eating until you get the algae tablets :)

Jul 7, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    i dont have alot of experiance with apple snails, however i do know that they will be ok if they ahve to go a little while without eating untill you get the algae tablets :)
    Do you know exactly how long they can live without food??
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:29 PM

I'm not sure :( sorry. I've never cared for an apple snail, I only know what I have learned from doctor erik johnson (teacher/mentor in the care of fish) and he was more of an expert on koi, not snails.

Here, this might help you. They can eat more than just algae, so you can feed him some apple pieces until you can get him some algae tablets too

WikiAnswers - What do apple snails eat

Jul 7, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    im not sure :( sorry. ive never cared for an apple snail, i only know what i have learned from doctor erik johnson (teacher/mentor in the care of fish) and he was more of an expert on koi, not snails.

here, this might help you. they can eat more than just algae, so you can feed him some apple peices untill you can get him some algae tablets too

WikiAnswers - What do apple snails eat
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting rid of algae [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Bacqua Pure sand filter cannot find the instruction book that came with it I found on the internet the parts list for it but no instructions. I had a severe algae problem last year do to a accident and was not able to clean the pool good. This year I would like to start the season...

Algae on vinyl siding [ 5 Answers ]

I have never regretted putting low maintenance vinyl siding on my house in 1985. Low doesn't mean zero. I am now having problems with algae on the North side. It is the perfect environment, shaded and damp, and the ancient red wood deck doesn't help either. A few years ago I spent a hard day's...

Change in weight of bird-cage when the bird is flying inside the cage? [ 2 Answers ]

Q1. What kind of Change would be observed in the weight of bird-cage, weighed by a spring balance 1. when the bird is sitting inside the cage 2. when the bird is flying inside the cage? WHY? Q2. A 1.0 gm. Seed is sown on the earth after few years it becomes one of the biggest trees in the...

Suspended algae [ 1 Answers ]

I changed a little over a third of the water in my goldfish tank about a 2 and a half weeks ago. Also cleaned gravel of fish waste and put in new charcoal filters and added water treatment to tank. For the last three days my clear/clean looking fish tank has become more green by the day. I've...

Death of algae eater [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause the death of algae eater? I have a plecostamus in 10 gallon tank with 2 black moor fish and they seem o.k. the algae eater was behind fake plants curled up in a ball. This is 2nd algae eater that died? I fed him the wafers but confused how often to feed.

View more questions Search