Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 1, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Is there anything else to treat swim bladder?
    I know that peas can treat swim bladder but we don't have any at home. Is there another remedy for swim bladder. Right now my fish is tilted to the right and I want to make sure he gets treated.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:58 AM

Hey hon. First it sounds like your having a lot of issues with your poor fish. I'm sorry :(

Step 1 Feed the fish a couple of peas. This sounds weird, but it is believed the peas encourage destruction of the impaction.

Step 2 Avoid feeding the goldfish for several days. Fish can survive without food for up to ten days or even longer, so this is not as cruel as it sounds. Sometimes this is enough to break up the impaction.

I dont suggest you doing step 3, as it sounds to me like you dont have alot of experiance with gold fish and other carp (goldfish/koi ect) but i am including it anyway.
    Step 3 Aspirate the swim bladder periodically. This involves sticking a needle into the fishes swim bladder and removing some air. This is a well known treatment.

Step 4 Take the fish to a knowledgeable vet and have a partial pneumocystectomy done. This is a partial removal of the swim bladder. There are vets who perform this surgery, as extreme as it sounds.

Jul 6, 2009, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    Hey hon. first it sounds like your having alot of issues with your poor fish. im sorry :(

Step 1 Feed the fish a couple of peas. This sounds weird, but it is believed the peas encourage destruction of the impaction.

Step 2 Avoid feeding the goldfish for several days. Fish can survive without food for up to ten days or even longer, so this is not as cruel as it sounds. Sometimes this is enough to break up the impaction.

I dont suggest you doing step 3, as it sounds to me like you dont have alot of experiance with gold fish and other carp (goldfish/koi ect) but i am including it anyway.
    Step 3 Aspirate the swim bladder periodically. This involves sticking a needle into the fishes swim bladder and removing some air. This is a well known treatment.

Step 4 Take the fish to a knowledgeable vet and have a partial pneumocystectomy done. This is a partial removal of the swim bladder. There are vets who perform this surgery, as extreme as it sounds.
    We got some peas today but they're too big for my fish so I have to cut a pea into about 14 pieces for them. The problem is that they're not eating the peas. Is there anything I can do to the peas so my fish will eat them?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:33 AM

Boil them. Make them nice and soft if they aren't already soft. And take the 'mush' out of the 'skin' so that its easier to get to.

If they aren't eating, I'm sorry to say there isn't much to be done :( you can't force a fish to eat...

Jul 6, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    boil them. make them nice and soft if they arent already soft. and take the 'mush' out of the 'skin' so that its easier to get to.

if they arent eating, im sorry to say there isnt much to be done :( you can't force a fish to eat...
    But I herd that you can't boil the peas or it won't work.
    rodjanefreddy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2009, 06:36 AM

Have you tried other foods? Peas, cucumber, sweetcorn, banana, orange, boiled lettuce? My fish eat all of these and they've all helped

Jul 24, 2009, 10:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rodjanefreddy View Post
    Have you tried other foods? Peas, cucumber, sweetcorn, banana, orange, boiled lettuce? My fish eat all of these and they've all helped
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

St. Maarten Dolfin swim [ 2 Answers ]

We are planning a cruise to the Caribbean in June 2006 and going to St. Thomas, Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, St. John, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados. We would like to to the dolphin swim. Anyone done it? And if so, what do you think of it. Are there any other Must Do's or Must See's on any the...

Baby swim [ 2 Answers ]

What age could you take baby swimming?Is it best to wait till they have had all their injections?:confused:

Embarrassed to swim [ 5 Answers ]

I've loved swimming ever since I was little. I've had a wide number of weight problems and emotional problems and am currently 5'3" and 257 lbs. I decided to start an exercise program and joined the local YMCA a few days ago. I bought a swimsuit, swimcap, goggles, lock, etc. I'm ready to begin. The...

New swim suit. [ 3 Answers ]

I've looked many places for a new bikini. I've seen things I like but nothing that I totally love. So if anyone finds a good site please let me know. To help you out here are a few details: last year my suit was light blue so I can't wear anything that color, I would prefer a top that has a...

View more questions Search