Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kashumz Posts: 137, Reputation: 4

May 23, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Home made gerbil toys & cage? Ideas?
    I am poor. I need a bigger gerbil cage. This is what I have now and I have been told it's much too small.

crittertrail treehouse

I was going to make a bin cage, which would be a large rubbermaid bin with a mesh screen installed into the lid, but I don't have a mesh screen. Do you think I could just leave the lid off? They wouldn't be able to climb up, but gerbils can jump. Could they jump out? It's completley smooth on the inside, I don't see how they could chew their way out.

Also, I'm in desperate need of gerbil toys. I KNOW ABOUT THE PAPER TOWEL ROLLS. yes, they make excellent toys but I need more than that because they use them up so quickly and Im trying to save them to make a maze with. I have a clay pot I just made in art. Could I let them climb in that? It's painted with acrylic paint though. If they chew on it, won't that paint be very bad for them? I read about making hammocks for them too. But how would I hang it from the top of the cage? Especially if with the bin cage I won't even have a lid. Should I just keep them in the treehouse?

Please give me some ideas for some gerbil toys and cages! DO NOT SUGGEST TP ROLLS!

I NEED HOMEMADE CAGE IDEAS D:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 23, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Here's a site that I found that might give you some answers;

Tip of the Month

Good luck.
    kashumz Posts: 137, Reputation: 4

May 24, 2008, 09:48 AM
    I need homeade cage ideas too!
    Lydia96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 04:38 PM
    You could use tissue boxes, they love to chew them. I also use cardboard egg cartons, if you cut holes in it they like to crawl in and out through them. Do you have a fish tank? That's what I use for my Gerbil's cage. If not you could use a large plastic Container with a lid and poke air holes at the top (Not too big or the Gerbil can get out)
    Pets Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia96 View Post
    You could use tissue boxes, they love to chew them. I also use cardboard egg cartons, if you cut holes in it they like to crawl in and out through them. Do you have a fish tank? That's what I use for my Gerbil's cage. If not you could use a large plastic Container with a lid and poke air holes at the top (Not too big or the Gerbil can get out)
    Lydia, welcome to AMHD. It is important to note the date of the thread you are posting on before responding.

This thread is over a year old and the OP hasn't been back. By posting you bump this thread to the top and the newer threads fall down the list. Please refrain from posting on the older threads.

Thank you.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 22, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Yes, you need to check the date of the post.
    coooool Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Use a carrot and tie a string into it the poke a hole through the middle and put a sun flower seed in there then hang it up in your cage
    Pets Expert

Dec 21, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by coooool View Post
    use a carrot and tie a string into it the poke a hole through the middle and put a sun flower seed in there then hang it up in your cage
    Then watch as the gerbil hangs himself from the rope. :(

This is an old thread. Please check dates before posting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What's a good home made facial? [ 3 Answers ]

Can people ples giv me sum recepies for home made facials! Retail one are so expensive and don't even wrk!

Home made toothwash to replace fluoridic toothpaste [ 7 Answers ]

I have stopped using fluoride toothpaste, because too many rumors of the ill effects it can have on our bodies. Plus it is banned in many European and Asian countries. I have come up with a mixture to replace my old toothpaste until I find one more natural (baking soda, peroxide, filtered water,...

Brainstorming Some Work From Home Ideas [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is currently unemployed and prepping for kids. What if as a collective we came up with some ideas for home based income producing activities? There are enough people on this site that we could work as some sort of "Online collaboration". I guess if you had ideas yourself you wouldn't be in...

Home based business ideas [ 7 Answers ]

I want to know some of the home based business. Where I can spent my spare time regularly and earn money .:confused:

Home made Rolls (Yeast) [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone have any ideas on how to get my yeast rolls to market. These are homemade yeast rolls. Every time I make them people want to buy them. Everyone keeps telling me to get these in the store. Any suggestions on how to sell the recipe or manufacture to get into the market place.

View more questions Search