Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcdrrek Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Feb 3, 2009, 11:01 AM
    Replacing hose on toilet
    I have a question about the hose that runs from the water inlet pipe to the toilet tank. Presently have a plastic type hose that you pull/push on the valve at the bottom to turn on/off the water to the toilet. There is a leak in this host on the toilet side of the shut off valve. The entire hose needs to be replaced. I bought a hose with the traditional type of shut off (a handle that turns). On the part that attaches to the water pipe from the wall it has threads that appear to screw on to the pipe.

The present hose has a plastic cover over the pipe so I can not tell if the pipe is threaded. Before I shut off the water and remove the present hose I would like to make sure the pipe is threaded.

I am a real newby in this area though I have replaced other parts of the toilet without too much trouble.

Thanks in advance
    Ralph:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Could you rephase the question? The shut off is called a Angle stop. The line from the angle stop to the tank is called the supply. Why are you replacing the angle stop if all that's wrong is a leak at the supply/tank connection?
    On the part that attaches to the water pipe from the wall it has threads that appear to screw on to the pipe.
    Please explain. Are you saying that you have a threaded galvanized pipe coming out of the wall And wish to know if the stop's threaded? Can you furnish a picture of ehat you're talking about? Regards, Tom

Feb 3, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Could you rephase the question? The shut off is called a Angle stop. The line from the angle stop to the tank is called the supply. Why are you replacing thge angle stop if all that's wrong is a leak at the supply/tank connection? Please explain. Are you saying that you have a threaded galvanized pipe coming outta the wall And wish to know if the stop's threaded? Can you furnish a picture of ehat you're talking about? Regards, Tom
    The supply is all one piece. Unfortunately, I am not at home right now so I can't take a picture. You can't remove the supply from the angle stop. The entire hose and angle stop need to be replaced. I have a new angle stop that is threaded on the inside and a supply that screws in to the angle stop. What I am wondering, is the pipe coming out of the wall, is it threaded. I can't tell without removing the present angle stop and supply. From my recollection, the pipe coming out of the wall looks to be copper, though I am not positive about this. I will take a picture when I get home and maybe that will be helpful.

Thanks for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2009, 11:49 AM
    I'll be waiting to see what you have. Tom

Feb 3, 2009, 09:35 PM
    I am attaching a picture of the one piece Angle Stop and Supply.
    Also How do I remove this from the water pipe?
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 12:04 AM

This is ACCOR, one piece angle stop & water supply. They make them in Female Thread or Push On types.

Close water to the house. Disconnect water supply from toilet tank. Put your hand on angle stop and try to turn it clock wise. See if it spins around the pipe it that direction. If positive, than it is Push On type angle stop. It operates on same principle as SharkBite fittings. Go to Home Depot, purchase 1/2" orange Removal Ring, slip that ring over the copper pipe and behind the valve and pull towards you. Angle stop will slide out from the pipe.

If angle stop feels solid and won't move to the right at all than you have Female Thread angle stop. It is screwed over Male Adaptor. Unscrew it in counter clock wise motion.

BrassCraft now sells in Home Depot brass/chrome Push On angle stops. They come in 1/2" COMP x 3/8" COMP size. Get one of those. Also buy new flexible, ss, braided toilet supply: 3/8" COMP x 7/8" BC x 12".

Angle stop just slips over the pipe. No tools needed here. You will need small channel locks to tighten up water supply line. You can do it all yourself. If you need help, come back...

Let me know how you did...
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 12:14 AM

Here is the sharkbite Disconnect, see the Image, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 08:33 AM

Btw: that baseboard in the posted photo is installed upside down...

Feb 4, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Btw: that baseboard in the posted photo is installed upside down....
    Not surprised, the way the throw up these houses it's a miracle anything is done correctly. The baseboard in the entire house is installed that way. :rolleyes:
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 08:43 AM

Looking closer on the contour of the "baseboard" it even appears to be door casing, not baseboard...
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 03:22 AM
    [QUOTE=Milo Dolezal;1526778]This is ACCOR, one piece angle stop & water supply. They make them in Female Thread or Push On types.

Here is the link for the Accor angle valve, follow Milo's instruction you will be Ok, or you can call Accor for replacement it has 10 years warenty labor and parts,Thanks.

John

Flow tite valves

Feb 14, 2009, 02:58 PM
    [QUOTE=afaroo;1533385]
    This is ACCOR, one piece angle stop & water supply. They make them in Female Thread or Push On types.

Here is the link for the Accor angle valve, follow Milo's instruction you will be Ok, or you can call Accor for replacement it has 10 years warenty labor and parts,Thanks.

John

Flow tite valves
    Thanks much for the information. They are sending me a replacement free of charge.

Feb 14, 2009, 03:02 PM

Close water to the house. Disconnect water supply from toilet tank. Put your hand on angle stop and try to turn it clock wise. See if it spins around the pipe it that direction. If positive, than it is Push On type angle stop. It operates on same principle as SharkBite fittings. Go to Home Depot, purchase 1/2" orange Removal Ring, slip that ring over the copper pipe and behind the valve and pull towards you. Angle stop will slide out from the pipe.

If angle stop feels solid and won't move to the right at all than you have Female Thread angle stop. It is screwed over Male Adaptor. Unscrew it in counter clock wise motion.

BrassCraft now sells in Home Depot brass/chrome Push On angle stops. They come in 1/2" COMP x 3/8" COMP size. Get one of those. Also buy new flexible, ss, braided toilet supply: 3/8" COMP x 7/8" BC x 12".

Angle stop just slips over the pipe. No tools needed here. You will need small channel locks to tighten up water supply line. You can do it all yourself. If you need help, come back ....

Let me know how you did...
    Wanted to let you know how it went. I purchased the Brass Craft 1/4 turn Push On Angle stop and Supply. Had a time removing the cover from the water shut off but finally succeeded, then couldn't shut off the water. Had to go back to Lowe's and purchase a water shut off tool. Once I had the water shut off every thing else went smoothly. Took <1 minute to replace the angle stop. Works Great! Thanks much for every one's assistance.:D
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and am glad that your problem is resolved, Good Luck.

John
    kwahamot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 08:30 PM
    I bought the Sharkbite orange removal ring, but it doesn't seem to help remove the Accor push-on valve when I pull on it. Am I doing something wrong. There are no instructions on how to use it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2010, 10:03 PM

Click on the link below and watch the clip will show how to use it.

ACCOR designed its patented PUSHON technology
    To overcome common problems associated with
    Compression style valves. The unique O-ring design
    Of Flow Tite eliminates packing seal leaks, and compression
    Problems. The internal stainless steel
    Gripper ring mechanically attaches to the pipe without
    Tools, and is tested to over 1000 psi.

The valves and couplings are removable by twisting off counterclockwise,
    And are reusable.

So you need to disconnect the supply line twist counter clockwise and pull it will come off, good luck.

John

YouTube - Sharkbite Compression Fitting / Disconnect Clip
    kwahamot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Comment on kwahamot's post
    Ahh, I have the Accor valve, not Sharkbite. I tried pulling and twisting counter-clockwise and it wouldn't budge. I finally bought a medium sized pipe cutter and cut through the center of the large plastic section of the valve and it fell apart.
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the update, now that you got the Accor valve removed I would suggest to install a compression type angle valve see the image below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hose bib: Is my plumber asking a reasonable price for replacing? [ 22 Answers ]

I have a plumber here who has given me a price of $376 to replace my hose bib with a good quality part (says good quality bronze) and a 5 year warranty. His price of $376 shocked me. Is that reasonable or is he overcharging? It is impossible to get people to give estimates over the phone to...

Replacing Hose Valves [ 10 Answers ]

There are two 20 year old hose valves outside the house. Both leak, and one even has a busted handle that requires a vise grip every time we want to open and close the water flow. I would like to replace both without the expense of hiring a plumber. I think this is a job that even I can do.. ....

Replacing sprayer hose assembly [ 1 Answers ]

Please recommend a way to easily remove sprayer hose at the connection to the valve body underneath the sink without going to the trouble of removing the valve assembly completely. Thank you!

Replacing hose bib [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Ask Me, I am in the process of replacing a hose bib on the outside of my house. The problem is, it won't unscrew without more force than I dare give it. (I'm trying to turn it counter-clockwise, by the way. Is that correct?) I'm afraid of kinking the copper pipe inside the house and...

Removing and replacing a soldered hose bib [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace a soldered hose bib on copper pipl, cac I heat it and pull it off or must I cut it off

View more questions Search