Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdscooby Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 03:58 PM
    Won't boot from CD-R
    My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 27, 2005, 12:53 AM
    Are you closing the disks before trying to boot from them, if they are multisession and still open, this could be your problem.

For testing purposes, can you do an exact copy of a cd that works and try that?

Oct 27, 2005, 03:46 AM
    Boot img
    The cd boots fine in all my other computers. Also it won't read any cd-r in windows either.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2005, 05:06 AM
    CD-R's
    Hi,
    This can happen if you have used the Roxio Easy CD Creator, but now have switched to another type of burning software.
    Here is a link:
    http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/en/Roxio_U...r_Control.html

Sometimes, the UDF Reader is not the correct one for the computer, and if not, will not allow the computer to read CD-R's. The link above contains a download to change the UDF Reader.
    I am sure others will be along and offer some suggestions also. Since your computer does read something like an install CD, then the problem is reading cd-r's, burned by other computers, as you said.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 27, 2005, 05:43 AM
    Sounds like a problem with the hardware to me! All I can suggest is cleaning the lens with a special CD lens cleaner kit (available in most PC & hi fi shops)

If that fails you might be looking at a new drive. DVD writers are pretty cheap these days, so if you're going to replace it I'd upgrade (unless you've already got one!)

Fred, I looked at the link you gave but this refers to read-write access and says that read access is not affected. But still nice to know for the future!

Oct 27, 2005, 12:55 PM
    Thanks for the help I'll try that. Any other help would be nice too.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 27, 2005, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mdscooby
    My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
    I'm not sure I follow this. In the Dell you are putting a CD/R disk in the drive and then powering up and hoping it will boot from that disk? Other disks are bootable and this disk works in other PCs? Is this a CD/R you burnt or a commercial disk?

Scott<>

Oct 29, 2005, 09:47 AM
    Well I got the cd-rom from my other notbook and it worked just fine so it must be the drive. Time to buy a new one. Thanks for all the help.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 29, 2005, 10:38 AM
    There is something I never thought about either, until I just picked up on this from one of my newsletters - that manufacturers can make CD/DVDs that state one thing on label and package, but be totally different inside. There is a program which I downloaded and it works. Look for it and download it also, it's free and needs one more file, which is available too. If this does not work, it at least is good to have for the future. Good Luck.

REVIEW FROM COMPLETELYFREESOFTWARE.COM
    DVD Identifier v4.2.0 -- Win9x/ME/XP (5 doves)
    DVD Identifier is a utility program that identifies the
    actual manufacturer and other details (size, recording speed,
    type, etc) of blank DVD media. It features support for DVD+R/+RW,
    DVD-R/-RW & DVD-RAM media, copies information to the
    Clipboard, the program optionally checks for updated manufacturer
    info on startup, and more. This is a handy tool for anyone with
    a DVD burner. It accurately identifies information about
    blank DVD media and, in our case, even identified an error in the
    packaging of a spindle of disks we had purchased -- they
    weren't -R as marked but +R. We first checked our regular DVD
    blanks and found out that they were manufactured by Sony (we
    don't have the original packaging but they did not had the Sony
    brand on them). The only information lacking through DVD
    Identifier was that they were x4 speed. The second disk we tried
    was supposed to be a "no brand" x8 -R but turned out to be +R
    (the speed was correct) manufactured by Infomedia Inc. One
    thing we loved about DVD Identifier was that it notified us that it was
    going to access the Internet, before it did so, to check that
    we had the latest manufacturer's database -- and gave us an
    option to prevent this from happening. We don't mind programs
    using our Internet connection for valid purposes (like this)
    but get annoyed when they just try to use it without
    explanation or the option to stop it (we have no idea what information
    they are exchanging so we use our firewall to block this type
    of traffic!). Having caught the DVD distributors/importers
    with an error (or a lie), we will now be checking all blank DVD
    media with DVD Identifier. We suggest that you do this as
    well.
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
    This is for DVDs but all new hardware of this type reads/writes DVDs also and are cheap now.
    Express1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 02:47 PM
    Your problem
    Regular CDR's can not be booted from unless they are formatted to be a boot disk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pc won't boot normally [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! I have a problem with my PC,this is what goes on,after pressing the turn on switch the PC goes through the POST check then after identifiyng the drives it stops and does nothing,HELP!!

PC won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When trying to boot the following error displays:“lsass.exe could not be found". When booting from the repair disc, it hangs. Running Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks Thanks guys, I ended up doing a fresh format and install.

Can't see my p.c boot up [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I can't see my computor boot up until it reach's the log in window for windows xp. And then the moniter turns on. i.e I can't get into the bios because I can't see anything. I've installed the correct graphics card driver... Any ideas? :cool:

On boot up hdd and cd not recognised [ 8 Answers ]

I was trying to reinstall my XP or run a recovery. But as soon as I boot up the PC, the bios does not recognise the hard drive and the cd drive. "primary drive not recognised. Secondary drive not recognised. It then says windows can not run recovery because the hard drive is not present. Please...

Boot up Woes [ 9 Answers ]

I recently migrated my mobo into a new case, but found that now that the comp won't boot. At first it booted telling me that the Cmos Setup was wrong and that the Time and Date was not setup. So I shut it off and turned it back on a while ago only to find out that it won't boot to POST or nothing...

View more questions Search