Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorijo123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 11:14 PM
    How long before a cats milk dries up after stopping nursing
    My cat had kittens and they all died. I want to find someone who has newborn kittens that we can abopt 1 or 2 for my cat to raise. I need to know how long before my cats milk dries up, considering that there are no kittens currently drinking off her.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 02:48 AM
    Mastitis in cats | Cat health | Pet health

Remove the bed where she had the kittens, anything that would have a kitten scent; decrease her food by 10%. Her milk should dry up in about 2 weeks, but keep a close eye on her nipples for redness or swelling which could mean mastitis is setting in. Read my link above. If you notice any swelling or redness, a vet visit would be in order. Usually antibiotics are prescribed for this condition.

I hope you are considering spaying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged milk duct but not nursing? [ 2 Answers ]

I nursed both of my children for way over a year each, so I am familiar with clogged milk ducts. I stopped nursing about 3 years ago, and twice in the past few months I have gotten what feels like a clogged duct. It feels like it is directly under my aureola and on the underside of my breast. I...

Mom cats teats swollen, nursing kittens not deficating. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a mom cat (Church) and she had four kittens on 03/21/2008. On April 7th I had taken one of the kittens to the vet because I noticed she had labored breathing and she was not nursing. She started gasping for air, shook a little, and died in my hands before the Dr. was even able to see her. ...

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

Cats and milk [ 2 Answers ]

In the 1950's I remember that we used to feed our pet cat milk or cream (if they were lucky) almost exclusively. That was thought to be what they ate, and we had several cats that lived for years on cow's milk. Now my cat won't touch milk and I read that cat's are generally lactose intolerant...

View more questions Search