Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mauibaby0324 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 02:42 PM
    Restricting visitations with my son when his father is with convicted felon
    I am a Texas native who married in 2007, had a son in March of 2008, purchased two new vehicles and a home and became a stay at home mother. The last day of April 2010, four weeks after signing off on the new mortgage my husband moved out. It appears that he's reconnected with his ex-girlfriend, who was wisked away by the State of Texas, in 2006, for embezzlement. Prior to marrying and during our courtship I felt comfortable that my concerns had been addressed and that L-, the ex, was no longer a concern. But after he left I wondered where his strength came from to leave his son, now 2, and break the trust of our marriage. I did my research and found out that contact with L- has been ongoing throughout our marriage. They speak very frequently and he has sent her money even during our marriage. I do believe he visited her as well, but he won't admit to that. But I am able to prove this without his admittance. She will soon be released and my husband is working with the local parole department to get her in the same city he resides. It is a neighboring city where my son and I reside. Neither of us has filed for divorce yet, still very new to the situation. No temporary orders or anything of that nature have been filed. Is it within the legal realm to restrict visitations when my husband either begins living with L-, visits with L- or to keep my son from having to be around her? Maybe limiting her rights in some way? I only am concerned because it seems that even with the horrible circumstances between my husband and L- that he still possesses a relationship with her that has aided in dividing our family and shows that he has poor decision making abilities when it comes to her. I do know that she has children and that she chose to leave them and come to the Dallas area, to be with my husband, instead of staying with her family. I believe she may have also been running from some of her acts of embezzlement, because there were multiple convictions. Please guide me in any fashion that would help me gain understanding and acceptance of our position.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 02:49 PM

Since her crime is that of non violence then its going to be hard to do. Your going to have to take a wait and see approach. You should file for divorce before she gets out so at least you will know where you stand.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 03:29 PM

At this point you need to file for divorce and file for custody and child support.

Normally who he may or may not be with has no bearing on his rights to visit unless you can prove they or he is a threat to the children. So with what you wrote, I don't see why a court would restrict his visits ( if he were to want to visit)
    But you can of course ask and try to get it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convicted felon marrying another convicted felon [ 2 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon marry another convicted felon? One is still in prison the other is no longer under supervised release. Both are federal cases.

Father wanting visitations with his son who was adopted [ 6 Answers ]

I need some advice before we go further in trying to get visitations for my husband. He has a son who he has never met face to face. Knows where he lives and dated the child's mother so he know the family. They were both under 18 when she got pregnant. His name was not on the birth certificate...

Funding for convicted felon and father of two [ 1 Answers ]

I'm only 24 yrs old and when I was younger had some run in's in with the law I was convicted of 3 felony 5's in Ohio which is where I live... I know have two children and a scarce job market I'm interested in going to school but obviously can't afford what can I do?? Thanks so much..

View more questions Search