Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neilgirrard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Wire & underground conduit size
    Hi,

I will need an electrical wire run between a small transformer and the main control panel for the house. I expect the transformer to push 220 or 240 volts at 200 amps. The transformer will be just under 140 feet from the panel. What size wire should I use and what is the minimum size schedule 40 underground conduit I should use? Schedule 80?

Thanks,

Neil Girrard
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 01:07 PM
    A 48 KVA (240 volts times 200 amps) transformer is not what I would consider small.

What exactly are you trying to do?

The upside to using a transformer is to use the primary voltage for the long feeder, and then step down at the load end.

What is the primary and secondary voltages?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What wire to use underground and should I use conduit or plastic [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wanting to run my wire underground to my garage and don't know what wire to use and don't know if I should use metal or plastic conduit

Underground conduit installation [ 3 Answers ]

Can aluminum rigid coduit be used below ground for a 40 amp./240vac branch circuit to service air condition compressor outside a residential dwelling in NYC

Mixing lines in underground conduit [ 1 Answers ]

Can I place electrical lines, telephone lines, and data cable together in a single run of underground conduit?

Proper wire and conduit size? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have just had a new pole building built. I had a 200 amp service installed. I will be installing 16 fluorescent light units. I will install them on at least 2, possibly 3 circuits. My question is what is the formula for figuring out the proper wire size, and how many of these conductors can I...

Underground wire in conduit close to water line [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed 3" schedule 40 pvc conduit from the street to a barn for hooking up a 200 meter service. Is there a requirement or code that states you have be a certain distance from water lines? We are about 12" under a water line with the conduit, which will have 3 large wires feeding the...

View more questions Search