Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Aug 9, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Married but paying separately.
    I notice some couples are not pooling there money together. The husband/Boyfriend will have his account and wife/girlfriend will have her account. Then assign each other bills to pay.

Isn't this dooming this relationship to fail?:confused:
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 06:32 AM

It's whatever works for the party.

Some couples have separate accounts for safety reasons (i.e. - if one person goes bankrupt, then the other person is protected, or if one person's business goes down in flames, the other person's protected).

Although I'm not married, when/if I do get married, I would hope that I would have my own checking acct, the wife will have her own checking acct, and together, we'll have one joint acct.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Aug 9, 2010, 06:46 AM

@ Isneezefunny.. what would be your purpose of maintaining your own checking account?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 06:53 AM
    Considering the success rate of marriages, it is probably a good idea to plan ahead- just in case.

My husband has his own savings account, but, I manage it. :p
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 07:04 AM

Well, for one, I've always been financially independent. Of course, when married, everything becomes joint, but for small things such as:

1. Supporting my parents. Many couples often fight about sending money/buying gifts to parents. This way, I can send money to my parents without an argument. Granted, of course, I'll tell her about it, and she can see the statements if she cares to, but it would be different than to see the money drain out of our joint account.

2. Gifts for her. If I wanted to buy her something, I can do so without her knowing about it, as a surprise. Sure, she'd find out when she looks it up on the statement, but by then, she won't care.

3. Business. This is the most important. I own my own business, and thus, my own checking account is liable. I would not want my wife to be tangled in that mess. If God forbid, the business takes a wrong turn, I'd want her to have financial security.

I think the problem with married couples having their own checking accounts is the secrecy behind it. No one knows what you're spending your money on, and that's scary. You could be financing your drug habit, gambling, possibly paying for hookers, etc. Maybe you're buying extraordinary gifts for your mistress, who knows. I plan to avoid this by allowing her to have access to see my account balances/statements, I plan to have open communication with her, I just want the freedom to manipulate my money the way I please...

Perhaps this is too independent, and some of my friends have told me, "Then you're not ready for marriage. A marriage is putting together EVERYTHING and becoming one." Sure, that may be true, and chances are, I'm not ready for marriage...
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 07:13 AM
    If I read you right Sneezie, you have (or will have) separate accounts, and joint accounts, and each of you have access to the statements?

To me, that makes sense. That way she can, as you said, see that you aren't spending money on hookers and blackjack.

Actually, I never realized it, but my husband and I have the same sort of system, and it has worked for 34 years.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 07:16 AM

Yep. I wanted to have a joint checking/savings for household bills and such, going out to eat, etc. We will also have our own personal accts, and put in an equal percentage of our paychecks into the joint account (say... 15 - 20%).

But yes, we won't hide the accounts from one another.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 07:19 AM
    If that is what works for the two of you that's fine. The problem comes when it is done in secret.
    You can have joint money and your own money.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 07:27 AM

my ex husband was a nightmare with money,so I took over the finances,but trusting him, he was a grown man we both had access to the household account where all monies went into.

on checking the account he would see x amount and arrive home with another expensive DIY tool,no hookers here,DIY was his thing.

spent the bill money, food money ,mortgage money, thinking if I was in charge of the account it was my responsibility and he could just spend away... hence.. hes my ex now.

today,in a new relationship athough we are not married yet how we will work the finances has being a topic of conversation.

like jake and sneezy we have agreed on a household and savings account in both names,and a separate account for our own pin money.

money can become a very serious issue in a relationship,if both parties are in agreement and know what's coming into the house it makes it a lot easier.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 07:32 AM

Well, the current girlfriend does NOT agree with this plan, as she wants one joint account. EVERYTHING is shared. But she's young and isn't great with money, as she's had her parents' support up until... well, now. So hopefully, she'll come around, and if not, we'll come up with some sort of a compromise.
    gracie2010 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 06:45 PM
    I think sneezy s plan would work if they were both above board with their spending and saving habits. It can become a bit sticky when the wife has been a stay at home mum and has returned to work after the kids have gone to school and doesn't have the earning capacity of her husband. I have had problems all through my marriage of my husband being very controlling over money and opening accounts and stashing money away and saying there isn't enough when a larger purchase comes up. I was responsible for groceries , gas for my car clothes etc which didn't leave much left for saving. My husband made twice I did so had the freedom to do what he wanted with his excess. He would always say you earn money too if you want?? Save for it. So it can be a very delicate situation if not handled properly to avoid resentment.
    gracie2010 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 06:45 PM
    I think sneezy s plan would work if they were both above board with their spending and saving habits. It can become a bit sticky when the wife has been a stay at home mum and has returned to work after the kids have gone to school and doesn't have the earning capacity of her husband. I have had problems all through my marriage of my husband being very controlling over money and opening accounts and stashing money away and saying there isn't enough when a larger purchase comes up. I was responsible for groceries , gas for my car clothes etc which didn't leave much left for saving. My husband made twice I did so had the freedom to do what he wanted with his excess. He would always say you earn money too if you want?? Save for it. So it can be a very delicate situation if not handled properly to avoid resentment.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 07:00 PM

Gracie:

I agree, that method doesn't work. I think the same PERCENTAGE of income, put into a joint account for groceries, gas, food, bills, etc. would be all right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NYS Tax re: married filing separately in NY [ 2 Answers ]

If you married and qualified to file separately for a New York tax return, but filing jointly on the federal tax return, how do you calculate the Federal tax return information? Do you calculate the NYS resident's information as you would a Federal married filing separately return (with allowances...

Married filing separately but with non-US spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a US citizen living outside the US with my non-US spouse. I file my Indv. Income Tax Return as 'Married filing separately', enter my spouse's name and SSS ( he worked in the US many years ago but NOT ANYMORE), and claim no exemptions nor any standard deductions ( since he claims me as a...

Paying property taxes & insurance separately from mortgage payments [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, everyone, I am a first time home buyer in the process of buying one. The problem is that the bank (lender) combined principal+interest+hazard insurance+property taxes. However, I want to pay property taxes & insurance separately. The bank (Bank of America) told me I can make the request...

Married filing separately [ 7 Answers ]

My wife (H4) & I (H-1B) are both residents for tax year 2008. Now I would like to file as "Married filing separately" (yes I know filing jointly gives us double the deduction but we have reasons not to go that route). So my questions are:- 1. If I file as "Married filing separately", do I still...

Married jointly or separately? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My husband lives/works in Chicago and I live/work in Washington state. When we file tax report for year 2008, is it better to report jointly or separtely? Also can each of us claim ourselves as a head of household? Thanks!

View more questions Search