Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    howezo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 03:23 AM
    Male dog behaviour changing - any suggestions?
    Hello
    I have 2 dogs - a male and a neutered female . Only recently the male dog has incessantly be licking the females bottom and then trying to mount her - this is a new behaviour but one which seems to be becoming obsessive with him. Can anyone explain why he is so obsessive about licking and if there is anything we can do about it. Will having him castrated solve the issue. The female dog is getting irritated by it and I am concerned that it may get nasty. He is also barking obsessively around her now as well
    Much help needed asap
    Thanks
    Zoe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 04:14 AM
    You didn't say how old he is. That behavior could be expected of a maturing male. Having him castrated should reduce the problem and other problems. It will also reduce his chances of cancer later in life.

Good leadership should help too. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 09:28 AM
    If you don't get him neutered he may start trying to mount humans, as well as peeing all over the place, sometimes they will pee even on peoples legs and feet, including your guest and small children.
    Her are the top ten ASpCA's list for spaying and neutering your pet. ASPCA: Adopt: Spay/Neuter
    howezo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 09:47 AM
    George is just about 2 - and hasn't displayed this behaviour before. I had heard mixed responses on neutering him that it may not have an effect but listenting to both your advices it may well be the best thing.

Thanks
    Poly Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Nov 7, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Hello bushg:

Neutering does not necessarily stop a male dog from mounting people or other dogs, nor does it necessarily stop a dog from marking. Sometimes it does, but not always.

I say this because our dog park allows ONLY altered dogs, and I still see both behaviors going on there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4year old dog changing. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I just got married July 28th 2007 to a Navy man. We had to move. We moved Aug. 6th or somewhere close to that to Charleston, SC. I have a 4 year old Shih-tzu he is potty trained minds well. BUT BUT BUT... now he poops in the house and pees oh and jumps on the kitchen table. He never did this...

Spayed male dog humping other male dogs. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My male dog mixed boston terrier/pug. He has been spayed at 4 months old. He never bother females dogs. But when a small male dog comes around he wants to hump her all the time. Why is that? How can I break him from it? I though once spayed they do not have the desire to hump. And why he only...

Male dog peeing [ 7 Answers ]

I have a total of FOUR Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (1 - Fixed female, age 13, 1 , age 2, and two 11 month old puppies, one male and one female) I'm having a devil of a time with the MALE puppy... no matter what I do, he continually marks their sleeping blankets. What can I do? He is healthy...

Winterizing my dog-A few suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

When winter is upon us, we need to focus on the special needs of older dogs, who can be especially susceptible to the extremes of temperature and other stressful, dangerous conditions of winter. (1) Does your older dog need a sweater? How about a raincoat? Wet fur decreases your dog's ability to...

Male dachshund personality changing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 2 year old male black and tan long haired whose personality has changed over the past several months. He has bitten my husband twice and my 12 year old once. He is overly possessive of his crate and seems to only like me. Has anyone else experienced a dog changing his...

View more questions Search