Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pablocanti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Using Trench drains?
    We have had a bit a water problem in our basement. When it rains hard the rain rolls down the exterior basement steps pretty hard and the drain at the bottom of the steps is not big enough to keep up with the heavy rainfalls.

It is OK to install a trench drain at the stop of the stairs and connect it to a pipe and route the water that way? Not sure if using a trench this way is OK.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Sure you can do that. If you can get enough pitch to your French drain to gravity feed the water away. Use perferated rigid PVC or soft black plastic drain tubing that's fabric covered. Backfill with couarse gravel no fines.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Bob gave you good advice. Treat the french drain.(see image) just like any drainage and slope the trench away from the house. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Or install collection pit at the lowest point, put in sump-pump with automatic float actuator. Pump water away from the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drains smell from all drains in house - specifically kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me before I call in the professionals, as I like to try and deal with things myself. I've just moved into a new house and it has some bad drain smells. Primarily, but not exclusively these are emanating from the kitchen. They don't smell...

Drains backing up, only when washing machine drains [ 2 Answers ]

My tubs are backing up only when my washing machine drains. I thought it was my sewer line and used an auger to clear that, but it's still happening. Could I need a new washer? This one is over 10 years old.

Un-used drains [ 1 Answers ]

Speedball 1, you suggested I pour some mineral oil in my drains that aren't used much, great idea, but where can I get this mineral oil? and might it be called another name also? Thanks. Steve

Drains [ 2 Answers ]

Do they make 1 1/4 inch tees to connect double sinks to a single drain? If not what can you do to connect?

View more questions Search