Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sallie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Highest starting salary
    Can anyone tell me the highest starting salary and the lowest starting salary of a Preschool teacher?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 10:30 AM
    In my area for a preschool teacher in a preschool setting (like a daycare), the salary averages from $8 an hour to $12 an hour.

That factor is also dependent upon your level of education.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Supply, demand, location and economics of the locality all make this difficult to answer. In my area you would be looking at about $3 more per hour than McDonald's pay to its employees, doesn't sound to great to me.
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Pay is one reason that we don't have quality preschools or daycares. They don't pay enough to the people who are educated well enough to teach our young children.

I got into this debate with my son's old preschool 2 years ago (before he started elementary school) and they could not keep teachers employed. They knew full well that the educated teachers required more money, but could not afford to pay them without raising their rates considerably. If they raised their rates that high, the parents would be forced to move their children to other preschools.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 01:05 PM
    J_9 hits it on the head. We want more salary for ourselves but when it comes to paying for a service we want it cheap. This is an impossible system and that's why 75+% of our products are coming out of China.
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
    It was really good timing as my son was ready to go to elementary school and I did not have to pay in excess of $85 per week for his care. Now, that is relatively cheaper than I paid for my daughter 8 years prior to that in another state. I paid over $150 per week.

So, you see, it is all in the amount of education you have and your location.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Preschool teachers really get socked when it comes to salary. Most are lucky if they get $10.00 an hour. $9.75 an hour is an average starting wage in this area. Pretty sad for a four year degree, isn't it?
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Oh, but you don't HAVE to have a 4 year degree to be a preschool teacher. There are certifications that one can get that will qualify you to teach preschool.

Now, if you have a 4 year degree in early childhood development there are other jobs out there that you want. Such as working in Head Start just to name one. My niece has a 4 year degree and she would never step foot in a daycare/preschool because the pay is terrible. Instead, with her degree she works in early childhood development and intervention. This is where she determines if there are any physical or mental delays prior to children entering elementary school. The pay is MUCH better.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 03:52 PM
    That may depend on the particular state and also the program funding, such as Title 1. Title 1 has more stringent requirements for teachers and paras/aides.

The following article shows each state and level of requirement, although the graph is three years old. http://nieer.org/resources/factsheets/2.pdf
    North Dakota has amended the Century Code to state that in order to teach pre- kindergarten the individual must be licensed to teach by the education standards and practices boards and have a major in elem ed with an early childhood ed endorsement or have the major in early childhood ed.

This article is from the Head Start site on teacher qualification mandates: Teacher Qualifications Mandate

I agree that if a teacher has the four year degree, there are better paying jobs out there besides teaching.
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 04:15 PM
    You are right Shy about Title 1 and all, but those are federally, or state, funded schools. Most preschools are in essence daycares. Daycares that have a preschool curriculum and are funded only by parents and food programs.

Title 1 was specifically designed to improve academic achievement of the disadvantaged population. It is used in Head Start as well as many public school systems.

Most preschool/daycare settings are a for-profit entity, therefore only a certification is needed in most states.

Title I - Improving The Academic Achievement Of The Disadvantaged
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
    True, I can go and purchase, or even download, a preschool curriculum and open my own little preschool. There are some great preschool sites, like Preschool by Stormie. Takes all the guess work out of the curriculum. When I worked for Head Start one of my family's had their child enrolled in a daycare/preschool and that person was using almost the identical curriculum that the family visitors from Head Start used. She purchased hers from someplace in California. Included everything down to the craft supplies. It was almost funny - I would come with a unit on home safety and the Mom would say, "that is what Jon is working on this week too!"
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Exactly!!

Little J's preschool used the Abecca Curriculum. It was not a federal or state funded preschool, it was for profit only. Sooo, they could not afford to pay educated teachers what they are worth. It is much easier and affordable to hire one who has received a certificate rather than a diploma.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

How to get only the highest and the lowest number as output in a set of data [ 4 Answers ]

Dear sir, I would like to know how to get the highest and the lowest ages as answer in a set of data with many range of ages.the output should be with the name place and age of the person with the highest and the lowest age.kindly let me me know the answer.

How to get the highest number only as output in sql [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir , I would like to know how to get the highest number as display.Fpr example a set of ages are in the database.I need only the highest age as output

Why 6" above flood rim of highest fixture? [ 7 Answers ]

hey tom, how goes it? I just completed my cast to pvc conversion of my attic reomodel. I did revent all my existing fixtures up so that they are 6" above the flood rim of my 2nd floor lav. My question is why? :confused: I can't seem to come up with a decent reason. Could you enlighten me? Also,...

View more questions Search