Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dwyatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 09:48 AM
    My Network Places missing
    My sister-in-law has lost her My Network Places folder, this means she can not print as the printer is on another PC in the work group. I thought it might be to do with the firewall but turning it off has not made a difference. She is running Windows XP

Anyone know who to get My Network Places?
    mrosa Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Adding "My Networking Places" Icon into Windows Start Menu

1. Right Click Window's Taskbar >
    2. Click Properties >
    3. Click Start Menu tab >
    4. Click Start Menu, Click Customize >
    5. Click Advanced tab, scroll down "Start Menu Item" tick "My Network Places" >
    6. Click OK >
    7. Click Apply.

All Done! :)

The "My Network Places" Icon is showing on the Windows XP start menu.

Regards,
    Cyberagent9
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Losing Network Places should not affect printing. If the printer was already defined, it should be in the Printers folder and show up in the printers list even if its not the default printer.
    AverageGenius Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 06:01 AM
    I know this is old topic, but in case someone is led here looking for answers, like me...

To restore "My Network Places" on your (XP) desktop:

1. right click in the blank space on your desktop.
    2. click on "Properties" in the small window that should have popped up.
    3. choose (click on) the "Desktop" tab near the top of this Display Properties menu.
    4. there should be a "Customize Desktop..." button shown near the bottom, click on it.
    5. Now you can select check boxes for Desktop icons: 'My Documents', 'My Network Places', and/or 'My Computer'.

Sometimes it's hard to see the things that are right in front of our face. :)
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Apr 13, 2009, 09:33 AM

It also depends on the version of the OS - Home vs. Professional. This icon is only available with the Professional version of XP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Favorite places [ 1 Answers ]

How do I transfer or copy my favorite places from one computer to another?

401k in two places [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I currently have 2 401k's roaming about from previous jobs. I don't have one set up with my current employer. I am in a position where I need to get a hold of that money quick, but I'm not sure what my best options are. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!! :confused:

Accessing FTP through My Network Places [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to access a music file I've hidden on my website, but of course I can't remember what I've called it so I thought I'd access the FTP window and look for it that way, but I'm having trouble getting on it by putting in the ftp.address.net bit - it keeps timing out before the login box...

PVC Tight Places HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

I was forced to cut off a closet (toliet) flange and the 90 degree elbow to which it was glued due to damage to get to clean PVC drain pipe in good condition. The problem is where the elbow will turn up and at the point where the new flange and coupling is needed is very tight. The area is between...

Win 2000 "My Network Places" [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, When we were running windows 98, I could hide "Network Neighborhood" with Policy Editor, with the idea being that I didn't want users to go exploring around the LAN. Office 2000 in the "Save As" window does not show "Network Neighborhood" icons in Win98, so things were pretty secure in...

View more questions Search