Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilfred112 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 27, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Pashmina shawl
    Does anyone know how to make a pashmina shawl and were to get the material from? :D
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Here is a link to a site that tells how to make a pashmina shawl (not a task for the faint-hearted) --

Pashmina cashmere shawl scarf stole wrap silk pashmina 100% pashmina Australia

You may not be able to get the exact materials for such a shawl (the wool and the silk). They are handmade on looms in Nepal and it takes four days to make just one. Each is unique. If you have a loom, check with your local library for pashmina instructions. If you are near a city or an Indian enclave, check for stores that sell pashmina yarn, looms, and perhaps give lessons.

On that same site, here's a FAQ page --

Pashmina cashmere shawl scarf stole wrap silk pashmina 100% pashmina Australia
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 09:01 AM
    I don't think you can make one on your own. They are woven from cashmere wool from a certain animal, not sure but think it's a llama. Which lives in the mountains of Nepal.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 01:19 PM
    I remember a few years ago when all the celebs just had to have one of these and they were terribly expensive, and a status symbol. Now they are somewhat cheaper, no doubt because the fad wore off, but they are a wonderful soft material. I don't think I have ever felt anything so comforting and the colours were just out of this world.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 02:11 PM
    My Indian coworker who is from Kashmir just told me that a genuine pashmina ($1000) is very expensive because it is handloomed, made in a cottage industry setting, and each is unique. Of course, there are knock-offs now made with cheaper wools.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search