Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamisonlippolis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 05:21 PM
    I need to sign over custody of me to a 19 year old, how would I do that?
    My father is willing to sign over the custody over me to a 19 year old who wants to "adopt" me. I am 17 and I live in Colorado. Please help me I need to know asap. If this is possible... how would I go about this?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Why would you?

You have less than 1 year to go.

Why bother with all the legal costs, etc.

Why not just live with the 19 year old?

Is this a bf/gf of sorts?

If you want to go through with it, contact a family law attorney who can best help you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2006, 05:38 PM
    It sounds like the 19 year old may be a "close" friend, not a real parent.
    And the judge will most likely see though it.

The 19 year old would have to sue for custody, and your father and your mother will have to either sign, or you would have to go to court and get the judge to approve it.

Honestly you can expect it to take well over a year to happen and by then you would be 18 and would cost several thousand dollars at best.

And if you dad will let you move out, then just move out if you have his permission.

When my oldest was 17, my job moved me from Ill to GA, but he wanted to finish high school at this school, he was about 1/3 of the way though his senior year, so I merely arranged for a family friend to watch him for the rest of the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to get custody of my 5 year-old Niece [ 4 Answers ]

I have a niece (my brother's child). She lives in Miami with her mother and my brother lives in Boston (moved there 7 months ago). I pick my niece up at least twice a month and I keep her for the weekend. Is not that my brother is unfit, he just doesn't have the brains to care for a child. He...

How to go about retaining temporary custody of my four year old niece. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am A 30 year old married mother of three wonderful if not fun children. My sister has A beautiful ,sweet and very talkative four year old. For the last two years I have seen my beautiful 22 year old sister destroy her life with drugs. It started with her drinking A whole heck of A lot and...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search