Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandyk1010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
    New house, new baby, dog's behavior changed
    We just moved into a new house, and are expecting a new baby in a couple months. Our mini-daschund has been acting different lately - hiding under beds, won't get in her crate when I tell her to, and I have to stand next to her so she eats. She has to be by my side at all times (more than usual). Do you think she senses this baby coming, and what do I do to get her back to acting normal?

Thanks, Mandy
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 21, 2007, 12:14 PM
    I think she's more concerned about the new house. Everything is different. Nothing is where it is supposed to be. There's a total change and she doesn't know what to expect and what is expected of her.

I have cats so, if this were a cat situation, I would advise you to limit her to one room until she gets used to the smells etc. Ruby and labman will be along soon to give you some great tips on how to get her to feel more comfortable.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Well, you have a lot of stuff going on. Dogs are creatures of habit and when their surroundings change it can be very confusing for them. And, most animals are known to be highly tuned into pregnancy. You smell different and she probably knows you are expecting a baby. Put those little factoids together and you have the makings of a very needy little dog right now. All you can really do is give her attention and not make a big deal of it. Get her back into her old routine regarding feeding, play, exercise, potty schedule,. She just needs time to adjust to all the changes. Right now, she is insecure. Once the baby comes, I suspect she will be a lot calmer along with being very much interested in the baby. You just have to be patient with her. She will settle down and become her old self eventually.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Nothing to add to RubyPitbull's post. They KNOW when you are pregnant, or a least something is up. My daughter's Peco has missed her lap this summer.
    Babygooey_42 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mandyk1010
    We just moved into a new house, and are expecting a new baby in a couple months. Our mini-daschund has been acting different lately - hiding under beds, won't get in her crate when I tell her to, and I have to stand next to her so she eats. She has to be by my side at all times (more than usual). Do you think she senses this baby coming, and what do I do to get her back to acting normal?

Thanks, Mandy
    A lot of times when the environment changes the dogs will cope differently, they may be stressed, scared, and unsure. That could be why your dog is always wanting to be by your side. About you being pregnant, dogs can sense that, and they can also sense that there is changing going on, and they usually don't like that. I would just give your dog time, and be sensitive to her needs, but don't spoil her because that could cause more problems in the end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When can I take my baby and leave my parents house [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm 16 years old and have a 5 month old baby... my parents are trying to control everything I do they won't let me raise my kid they are trying to take over... when can I legally move out so I can raise my baby myself with the help of the daddy??

Changing an adult dog's name [ 9 Answers ]

I am considering adopting a 2 year old dog with the name of "Baby Girl". This is a problematic name for me, because I currently have two female cats, and "baby girl" gets used a lot as a general term of affection in the household. Plus, I'm just not sure I want to be standing in dog park calling...

Moving dog's food [ 4 Answers ]

When I first got Trinkett, I set up her food in the bedroom because I was thinking that she would be shut up in there during the day. Now I leave her out during the day, and would like to move her food out of my bedroom. My problem? She won't eat out of the bedroom. To clarify, she prefers to...

PM on dog's skin problem [ 1 Answers ]

'''my dog is shaving herself, causing redness, and to top it off my sister has lice. The doc. Says lice can't be transferred from dog to human, or from human to dog. I've tried giving her medicine, soaking her in Cortizone cream, but nothing works. HELP!'' I strongly feel medical problems need...

My dog's behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed a strange behaviour in my dog, late this evening. He is 7 years of age and is a spitz dog. Today I suddenly found him restless about half an hour after he took his evening meal. He was shivvering in some kind of fear and was trying to hide himself at some corner. Or tried to enetr toilet...

View more questions Search