Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rnbke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 06:32 AM
    Lights dime and brighten after storm with lightning
    After a recent electrical storm, I noticed that throughout the house, my lights will dim and brighten several times, especially when something new is plugged in. I am a lttle concerned that there may have been a surge and something is damaged. All appliances are currently working, no burning odor but I am concerned. Of course all appliances needed to be reset. Please advise
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 06:57 AM

You have a neutral Problem.
    Is it throughout the house or 2 circuits?
    The Neutral will no effect on 240 Volt only appliances.
    All 240 works OK?
    rnbke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 08:27 AM

What is a neutral problem and how do I fix it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 05:14 PM

An Electrician will likely look for voltage between Neutral Connections, Zero Volts if solid. Could Be at the Meter, Meter may have to be pulled to Check that Neutral.
    Can you tell me yet if it is 2 circuits or the whole House?
    If it is the whole house, The Disconnect and Panel Neutral connections all need to be
    Checked.
    You might Visually check the Neutral connection(s) at the pole(s). Bionoculars will help.
    When they are blown wide open it is easy, burnt may indicate the problem. Found them before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slang name for a dime [ 4 Answers ]

I was talking to an older gentleman the other night and he remembered and older woman (in her 60's or 70"s) back in the early 1940's calling a dime by another name. This woman was of Irish descent and lived in the Ottawa Valley of Ontario Canada. Does anybody know what she would have called the ten...

I put electrical lights on my wreath on my front storm door [ 1 Answers ]

The door is metal and I was told that the rain would electrify the door. I have it plugged into the outdoor grounded outlet. Is this safe?

Lights dim & brighten . Surge ? [ 3 Answers ]

Approx 3 or 4 years ago I noticed lighting in my home would get dim, then get brighter. I asked others in my area if they were noticing the same in their home and no others were noticing it. I took the cover off my breaker panel and noticed that 2 of the wires (white and ground) going to...

Dr. Brighten [ 1 Answers ]

Do you know any thing about a felow called Dr. Brighten that wrote a book about why we have Popes?

Some lights dim others brighten [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently added an addition on to my small home. The kitchen outlets are on two separate lines that are of the proper heavy gauge wire. The kitchen lighting is on a separate line that is of standard romex. Now when I turn on a hotpot or other appliance in the kitchen the halogen lights get...

View more questions Search