Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nalber0791 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 01:02 PM
    US citizen petitioning mother with two daughters under 21
    It was my understanding that as a US citizen, you could petition your parent and this would automatically include any children under 21. My sisters are 19 and 16 years old. I just received a processing fee bill which only includes my mother and not my 2 sisters. I called the National Visa Center and they said that they could not guarantee that my sisters could come with her. She is divorced and holds custody for both of them. What should I do now? Why aren't they included in the petition? What is the standard procedure in a situation like this?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 03:32 PM

Some petitions allow a person to “add on” or include certain immediate family members whether those family members were named in the original petition. These family members (such as spouses or children), called “derivative beneficiaries”, may not have even been around at the time the petition was filed.

Anyway, this does not apply when you file a petition for your mother or father. You must file separate petition for each. It may take up to 24 months for your mother and 12-25 years for your sisters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughters future mother-in-law seems mentally ill [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is constantly upset at her future mother-in-law. This woman calls her son about five times a day and shows up at their home uninvited with food to cook that only she and her son will eat. Her son won't say much bacause she uses anger and the cold treatment if he does. The woman never...

Married non-citizen and family wants to see his ill mother in Luanda, Angola. [ 2 Answers ]

I have been married for 6 years to a non-citizen who has a work permit. We have two girls and an awesome life. The only problem is his mother is ill and he and I want to see her. The catch to this sad story is, we are in the states and his mother/family is in Luanda, Angola. How can we make...

Mother and Daughter Relationships, For all you daughters. [ 4 Answers ]

I may be stepping in a mindfield, or minefield. I know I do not quite understand it so I am asking all you Daughters who are married and have a family. Why is there such an importance with Daughters and mothers, why are daughters always worried about what their mother thinks or worried...

French mother, american father 5 children then became us citizen [ 2 Answers ]

My mother was born in France, married my American father had 5 children, became a U.S. citizen then had another child. Are we eligible for dual citizenship between France and the U.S.

Mother Indian citizen and visited US for less than 6 months can I claim her dependent [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there, While reading the forum on this website, I saw you helped many people with their complicated queries about tax returns. I would appreciate if you can respond to this query. Thanks~ My Mother came to US on May 13 2007 and left US on 6th oct 2007. She is came here on Visitor...

View more questions Search