Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SSOBBING Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Adopting my daughter
    I'm wanting to know if my husband can legally adopt my daughter. Her biological father.. I call him her "sperm donor" has not been in my life since I was 2 months pregnant & he has never been in hers. I have no idea where he is.. no social security #.. nothing... I tried to get legal full custody of her 2 years ago but the courts told me I would have to have a current active address on him. I explained my situation to the judge but of course that did me no good. When we last saw each other he said he was going back home (mexico) and coming back in a month. Well.. that never happened. Haven't heard from him since & she is now 3 years old. My husband loves her like she is his own & we want to know what we have to do to for him to adopt her. Please let me know! I'm looking for all the help I can get on this. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Somethng is not right here. Sounds to me like you went into Family Court without a lawyer or any idea of what you needed to do and didn't get what you wanted because you didn't ask correctly.

There is NO reason you shouldn't be awarded Full physical and legal custody of the child. You would probably need to show that you made a good faith effort to contact the father, but that's all. I suspect you didn't just ask for custody but for a termination of the father's rights and that would not have been granted.

There is a good possibility your husband can adopt. But this time you need to do it right. You need to get a Family Law attorney who can prepare the adoption petition. As part of that petition the attorney will prepare a termination of parental rights against the father. The attorney will tel you what steps you need to take to attempt to contact the father so the court will be satisfied you tried. If the father doesn't file any objection the adoption will probably be granted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Can my boyfrind adopt my daughter who does not have a farther on her birth record?

My husband adopting my daughter [ 5 Answers ]

Adoption I've gotten married since My ex & I split. Since then my daughter's father hasen't seen her since. He left when she was 4 and she is now 8 years old. He pays support each month faithfully because it's intercepted from his paycheck. I want to ask him to relinguish his parental rights...

Adopting my Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My husband would like to adopt our three year old child. Her biological father is not part of her life due to legal reasons and the nature of a crime. I have been notified via email by him that he wants nothing to do with her and that he does not consider her his child. When I gave birth to her I ...

Adopting my step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

My step daughter is 18 mts old, her biological father does not see or speak to her(through his own choice). My wife and I are considering that I adopt faith(stepdaughter). However as neither of us have ever done this before it would be useful to know where to start. So if anyone knows how to start...

Boyfriend Adopting My Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My Daughter is 3 months old next saturday and I want to know if my Boy-friend can adopt her. Her bio father has never seen her and has never been in her life since she was in my belly. I want him to adopt her so that she has a father that loves her and doesn't use drugs or sell drugs either.

View more questions Search