Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parothrock2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 02:33 PM
    No lease agreements
    I lived in a rented apartment without the landlord knowing. can they sue me for rent money for a time period i was there or any of the utility bills?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Are you then sub-letting from the original tenant? Hard to believe the landlord does not know you are there. Who, if not you, is paying the rent?

With no lease agreement or sub-let agreement and the landlord does not know you are there... the landlord finds out and thinks there is skullduggery afoot, you betcha you can be held responsible for costs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Did you break the door down while they were on vacation and just live in the house??

It sounds like you are a guest of a tennat that has a lease or rental agreement or you sublease from someone.

If you are just illegally living in someone else's property there are all sorts of things they can do.
    wdb1946 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Please describe "Adverse Possession". Can a person claim property that you have allowed them to use without a lease after a given period even though I paid all property Taxes during this time? How long must they have used the property before this can happen?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 04:54 PM
    No adverse Possession would not apply to this, they can not be allowed to use, they have to use it without the owners permission, thus the term adverse.

They would have to live on the property without the owners knowledge, they would not be paying anything basically and using it illegally basically for a number of years, ( 15 to 20 normally) but many states no longer has these laws on the books, except for small areas where fences or drive ways are at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-compete agreements [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently terminated, and a two-year non-compete agreement was signed by myself at the time of employment. I cleaned houses. Now I'm working for another individual. Two of the previous companies customers found out and now want to hire this individual so that I can clean their houses. Can I do...

Non-compete agreements [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently terminated by the cleaning company I worked for. Now I'm working for an individual. Two or three current customers of the previous company that I worked for found out and now want to hire this individual so that I can continue to clean their homes. Can I do this and remain loyal to...

Lease Agreements [ 3 Answers ]

My son moved into a 4 family flat on February 1, 2007. In St. Louis, Missouri. He did NOT sign a lease agreement at that time. The landlord is now asking him to sign a lease. Should my son sign this lease after he has already moved in? My son gave the lanlord the deposit and rent before he...

Rental Agreements [ 2 Answers ]

I am staying in a rented apatments, I want to avial a loan so they asking for address proof tell me how to write a agreement for address proof form the apatment owner

Lease agreements [ 2 Answers ]

I recently signed a years lease agreement on a house that I am currently renting. I have been offered a new job in another state and would like to know if the lease can be broken, what happens, and can they sue me?

View more questions Search