Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elctricadvise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 11:24 AM
    Can current backflow through a circuit breaker if volt/amps are applied to the load s
    I was looking to set up a generator circuit in the event of a power outage to keep my sump pump and furnace going. I want to find out, if I manually trip a circuit breaker, can I use the load side of the circuit breaker to continue to power the sump pump and furnace (using the same size wire of course) via the generator without worrying about backfeed through an open breaker? I cannot see any problem with it other than just me having to flip the breaker (which of course it is). The line from the generator does have circuit protection.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 2, 2011, 12:17 PM
    The right way to do this is to install a transfer switch.

However, to answer your question, yes, a tripped breaker will indeed isolate that circuit from the rest of the panel.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 01:05 PM

Not an expert on this, but one thought comes to mind - since the circuit breaker only opens the hot lead, I think you need to make sure that the neutral line of the generator output is at the same ground potential as the neutral of the house wiring - otherwise you'd get unwanted current flow through the neutral to ground. Does your generator have this capability?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 3, 2011, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Not an expert on this, but one thought comes to mind - since the circuit breaker only opens teh hot lead, I think you need to make sure that the neutral line of the generator output is at the same ground potential as the neutral of the house wiring - otherwise you'd get unwanted current flow through the neutral to ground. Does your generator have this capability?
    With no connections to the generator, the neutral output floats. Once you hook it to your house's wiring, it will be locked to the same potential as your house's neutral, and no current should flow to ground.

That does bring up the point, however, that your generator should be well grounded. In theory, hooking it to your house's wiring should ground it, since your house's neutral should be bonded to the ground at the main panel (where the service entrance is). However, the prudent thing to do is to separately ground the generator with its own ground rod.

Also, by way of disclaimer, bear in mind that I'm not an expert either. Tkrussel is the man for this subject matter.
    elctricadvise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 08:38 AM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    Thank you and all for your help! I do have the circuit hooked with the generators nuetral to the house nuetral and geneator has its own ground. Thanks Again for your quick responses!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Breaker Amps [ 7 Answers ]

Is a 100 amp circuit breaker box capacity sufficient? Or should I update it to 200 amps.

Can I use 25 amps circuit breaker? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use 25 amps circuit for number 12 wire if I have on it Water heater (1500 watts) and small pump

What circuit breaker should I use for a 240V 1.6 amps [ 4 Answers ]

What circuit breaker should I use for a 240V 1.6 amps

View more questions Search