Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gokuvaibhav Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 10:51 AM
    Limits continuity and differenciability question
    Q1.. Let f(x) =[a+bsinx], where x belongs to (0,Pi), a belongs to (I),b is a prime number and [.] denotes greatest integer function. Find the number of points at which f(x) is not differenciable?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2006, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gokuvaibhav
    Q1.. Let , where x belongs to , a belongs to (I),b is a prime number and [.] denotes greatest integer function. Find the number of points at which f(x) is not differentiable?
    What does 'I' represent? Integers?
    gokuvaibhav Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 09:06 PM
    Q1.. Let , where x belongs to , a belongs to (I),b is a prime number and [.] denotes greatest integer function. Find the number of points at which f(x) is not differentiable?

I=integers
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
    I don't know if you still need an answer or not, but I posed this
    question on another math forum(mathgoodies.com) and got the following
    response, which I think is very good.

I knew it would be non-differentiable at the 'jumping' point, but this is a more detailed answer.

"The derivative of a floor function at any point should be 0 if it is
    differentiable at the point.

The derivative is undefined at the point where the floor function jumps.

When a+bsin(x) = I, where I is an integer, the function is not
    differentiable.

Since a is an integer, b is prime, and sin(x) is between [0,1], when

sin(x)=1/b, 2/b, ...., b/b, we get a non-differentiable point. Therefore,

we have only 2b points: and

where the floor function is

not differentiable".

In other words, suppose 3 was the prime, then there would be 2b=2(3)=6
    points where not differentiable: .

Does this help? I thought this was an interesting problem. I learned something myself. I had never given any real thought to the differentiation of floor functions. I am glad you posed this problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation Violation Time Limits [ 7 Answers ]

I need everyone's advice. I was on probation for three years in the state of Virginia for a DUI related incident from May 2002 to May 2005. I violated my probation, but my probation officer never found out as it occurred in another state. Virginia (DMV) has now found out about it. (in July...

Current Limits. [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday, this girl I'm dating messaged me.. making it clear that we can't kiss and do anything further.. but we can only hold hands and hug each other. I think it doesn't make sense that she's telling me about this so point blank like she wants to plan everything about our relationship out. I...

Continuity tester that applies load [ 3 Answers ]

As we know, you can do a continuity test on automotive wiring that shows good, but due to a high resistance connection, it won't carry a load. Some months ago on one of the car shows on Speed Channel, they touted a neat tool (about $100) that can put a load on the wiring circuit to locate the...

Calculus help on limits [ 4 Answers ]

For what value(s) of k does the limit lim x ->3 (√x) - k / x - 3 exist? thanks =]

Roth IRA Limits [ 1 Answers ]

I contribute to a Roth IRA currently. The amount I contribute is reduced based on my AGI. I have been able in the past to compute the max amount I'm allowed to contribute. However, I plan on getting married this year and I am trying to figure just how this will impact my/our contributions to the...

View more questions Search