Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ajrosh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 02:25 PM
    How to pass Journal entry for Dividend payments ?
    Where we have a figure for Retained earnings already ,so shall we pass the payment of Dividends from retained earnings part?
    Awaiting your worthy reply - guy's
    :)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2010, 04:35 PM

Depends on whether you really mean the "payment" or not. When the dividend is declared, it is debited to Cash Dividends** and credited to Dividends Payable. When it's later paid, it's debited back out of Dividends Payable and credited to cash, like any payment of a payable.

**If this is for homework, some texts debit this directly out of Retained Earnings. If you debit it into Cash Dividends, you will have to do a closing entry at year-end that debits Retained Earnings and credits Cash Dividends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dividend journal entry [ 19 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this journal entry: The company declared and distributed cash dividend totaling $6,000 to its shareholders. I think the journal entry is this, am I right? Dividends declared 6,000 Cash 6,000 Or is it

Dividend journal entry! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having trouble with the following transaction: "received $2000 dividend from investment" How do I make an entry for this?:confused: Thanks :)

Dividend with imputation credits journal entry [ 5 Answers ]

What is journal entry for a didivdend declared and paid with imputation credits and resident withholding tax attached, does the imputation credit show in the statement of financial performance

Journal Entry For Dividend Received [ 1 Answers ]

HI, Journal Entry For Dividend Received Thanks & Regards, chandra mohan.

View more questions Search