Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cocotto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Presentation of Dividend Payments
    [F]

What is the proper Financial Statement presentation of Dividend Payments made?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 05:51 PM

First you need to distinguish between dividends declared and dividend payments, because they may not happen at the same time. It's the dividends declared you're concerned with.

They come off retained earnings, so the retained earnings statement is the only place they would show up. You'd have your beginning balance of retained earnings, plus net income (or less net loss), less dividend declared, which gives you the ending balance.

That ending balance in retained earnings is taken to the balance sheet, but the dividends don't show up there.

They can also show up on a statement of stockholder's equity if such statement is done. Since retained earnings is part of stockholder's equity, anything affecting retained earnings would be on that statement also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you calculate dividend payments from retained earnings? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you calculate a dividend payment with the use of the retained earnings data? Thanks!

How to calculate Stock dividend shares and cash dividend amounts? [ 1 Answers ]

I owe 600 shares common stock , I currently received cash dividend of .42 per share a year. A 5% stock dividend, was declared, how many shares of coomon stock would I receive as a dividend?

I need presentation [ 5 Answers ]

Hello there :) I need presentation about something strange for speaking class I want to talk about any topic for 5 to 10 min. Please help me I don't know in which category I put this question :o

View more questions Search