Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XxX0hJayJayXxX Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 08:19 AM
    What kind of sentence would you get for a first time felony?
    I used to work at Walmart as a cashier and I was having a lot of financial issues at the time. Obviously that's not an excuse for my actions but I ended up taking money from the register to help with my debt. One day I got called down to the office and they asked me if I know why I was down there. After asking me a few questions, I fully admitted to taking the money. They called the police and I ended up getting arrested for a felony theft. They booked me into jail on a Wednesday where I was supposed to wait for my court date which was on a Friday. I ended up getting released on Thursday evening because my court date was cancelled. They never explained the details but they just said that they will contact me if they need me for anything. It has been over a month since that happened, and I just received a letter saying I have court in a few days for it. I'm really nervous because I have no idea what kind of sentence I can get. My record is clean and I have never been arrested for anything before. I'm debating on skipping court because I can't afford to go to jail right now, but I also know if I do I'll have a warrant for my arrest. What do you guys think?
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Jul 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
    How old are you, what state, and previous record?

Jul 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
    I'm 20 from Minnesota. And my record is clean.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XxX0hJayJayXxX View Post
    ... I'm debating on skipping court because I can't afford to go to jail right now, ... What do you guys think?
    I think you should stop talking to (and debating with) that little man in your head. He's an idiot, as demonstrated by the fact that he convinced you to commit a crime for which you would certainly be caught. Idiot, but a persuasive idiot, evidently. :(

Jul 28, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I think you should stop talking to (and debating with) that little man in your head. He's an idiot, as demonstrated by the fact that he convinced you to commit a crime for which you would certainly be caught. Idiot, but a persuasive idiot, evidently. :(
    I don't really think I'm going to skip court but I just want to know what I can expect. That's all.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XxX0hJayJayXxX View Post
    I don't really think I'm going to skip court but I just want to know what I can expect. That's all.
    I would expect probation and a fine. How much did you take?

By the way, a felony conviction will mess you up for life. You loose your civil rights, and it doesn't look good on your resume. Disqualifies you for a lot of professional licenses. Talk to a lawyer about negotiating a plea bargain. It will be money well spent.

Jul 28, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I would expect probation and a fine. How much did you take?
    In the letter I got it said the total was $1,111.37...
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Jul 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Oh, you'll be fine. You probably will get a suspeneded sentence until you repay the $$. Then probation at worst but most likely continued without a finding. You'll be fine. Now stop being an idiot and stop stealing.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 165278 View Post
    Oh, you'll be fine. You probably will get a suspeneded sentence until you repay the $$. Then probation at worst but most likely continued without a finding. You'll be fine. Now stop being an idiot and stop stealing.

"Dude," you read that this is employee theft from WalMart, which takes no prisoners (so to speak), right?

In my area it's at least one weekend in jail. WalMart does NOT back away from employee theft and makes the thief an example.

If you have info to the contrary, please post the source.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
    They would not have let you out without bail if there was much of a chance of jail time.

Probation most likely

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felony convictions;served full sentence; more than 5 years out; applications for work [ 8 Answers ]

I have a nephew that was convicted of felony at 10, served full term, has been out of prison for 7 years since serving full sentence, and can't get a job he has a felony conviction. He has worked several jobs with good references and has good references now, but the conviction stands in his way....

After completing the convicted sentence of a felony and waiting ten years why do I st [ 1 Answers ]

Why after being convicted of white coller felonies does he /she have to fight to get there rights back? We have satisfied the courts by completing our sentence as well as waiting ten years after sentence is complete. There are no violent charges nor is there any drug charges "bank fraud" credit...

First time offender felony forgey going court morning what type sentence looking at [ 2 Answers ]

I am a first time offender with 2 counts of felony forgery going court morning what type sentence am I looking at so I can tell my kids

What kind of fallcy is the sentence below? [ 2 Answers ]

It takes someone with a really big heart ot give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most.

View more questions Search