Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lollipopgirl83 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 03:15 AM
    18 weeks pregnant
    Hi
    I am 18 weeks pregnant and am a bit worried about the amount of weight I have put on already! Before I got pregnant I was 8st now I am 8st 11llb so I have already put on 11llbs. I think this is a bit much!! Im trying to eat healthy but I am ALWAYS hungry!! Also with my job I am sat down at a desk all day and I'm too tired to exercise!!
    Advice anyone!!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 08:24 AM
    My doctor told me that you will gain what you need to gain. He may have just been saying that to make me feel better because overall, I had gained 60 pounds! I cut all the bad stuff out - like fast food and soda. Tried to eat healthy - just to go in to find I had gained ANOTHER 10 pounds! I retained every bit of fluid, so that didn't help.

If you are hungry - eat. I was like that in the beginning. I would eat a meal, and 2 hours later feel like I hadn't eaten all day and then would get the shakes until I could get some food. I started taking snacks with me to work - like carrots and dip or orange slices - something on the healthy side - it helped control some of that.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Many woman gain more weight than is average. Actually, at 18 weeks, 11 lbs doesn't really sound that off. It is not common belief anymore that gaining weight is bad. It won't make a difference on the size of the baby. I knew a woman who gained close to 70 lbs and delivered a 5lb 11 oz baby girl. It may be a little harder after delivery to lose the weight, but I agree with Now WHat... you gain what you need.
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 25, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I'm in the exact same place you are. Not quite 18 weeks but always hungry. A few tips I got:
    -eat at reasonable hours
    -eat healthy if you must eat late (ie: fruit & legumes)
    -walk instead of driving (if it isn't too far)
    -no matter what think of your baby and that it NEEDS you to put on weight so it can be healthy:)

The last one helped me freak out a lot less about gaining weight... I hope I could help:)
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 25, 2007, 09:04 AM
    11 pounds at 18 weeks is right on target with respect to weight gain. Doctors say to think about weight gain as about a pound a week. Most women gain between 35 and 50 pounds, and under 40 is considered just fine for a woman of normal weight.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Believe me we all do it. I am gaining much more with this pregnancy than before. I am already about 13 lbs over my start weight, and ill be 18 weeks on Friday LOL... my doctor told me it was nothing to be concerned about, each woman puts on different weight for each baby...
    kira_ramirez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopgirl83
    Hi
    I am 18 weeks pregnant and am a bit worried about the amount of weight i have put on already!! Before i got pregnant i was 8st now i am 8st 11llb so i have already put on 11llbs. I think this is a bit much!!! Im trying to eat healthy but I am ALWAYS hungry!!! Also with my job I am sat down at a desk all day and im too tired to excercise!!!
    Advice anyone!!!!
    Your doing just fine, I gained a total of 72lbs and I only have a 7lb 5oz baby. Just make sure that your not eatting too much sweets and limit the amount of caffiene. Later on in your pregnancy (if they haven't already) they will give you a test to see if you have pregnancy diabeties. But oter then that, don't worrk sweetie your just fine

Kira
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 11:05 AM
    As women, we tend to always be worried about our weight gain, and the way we look. It just seems to get that much worse when we are pregnant. We know we are suppose to gain weight, but really how much is a good amount? And it always seems like such a large amount to us. But really, the weight is distributed in so many various ways. Your breasts, water weight, the baby, actual stored weight, etc. (it helps to think that once you have baby, you shed about 12 pounds over night in water weight alone. My nurse told me that after having my second son, and it made my day;0)its more about your over all amount of weight gain. Every woman and pregnancy is different. One trimester you may gain a lot, then next, not much,it just depends. 25-35 pounds is the average amount that should be gained for a singleton pregnancy. Don't worry about your weight unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Try to get in the exercise you can, I understand working at your desk all day its hard to exercise, and you are probably very tired at the end of your day. However you will need to start taking a very short stroll every15-30 minutes when you get farther along in your pregnancy, so as not to run into issues with circulation/blood clots etc. so just take a stroll now and then around the office. Any small amount of exercise is better then none. When it comes to eatting, try to make your calories count. But don't starve yourself. Dieting is a never when it comes to pregnancy. But you sound like you are doing fine to me. Keep it up, and try not to worry.
    lollipopgirl83 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 01:16 AM
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!! The thing is I've always been quite lucky and always been able to eat what I want without gaining much weight so to start eating healthy is really hard!! Plus I don't really like many vegetables or fruit so when I'm feeling peckish I usually go for a packet of crisps or chocolate!! Also I finish work at about 8 so by the time I've had my dinner its time to go to bed!! Everyone keeps telling me that I haven't put on weight anywhere except my belly but I think they are just trying to make me feel better!! I think I look on the internet far too much!! I read somewhere that at 18 weeks most womaen have put on about 5 iibs!! When I read that I completelt freaked out!! I know I need to put on weight but I am just so scared that I'm going to have trouble losing it all after!! Oh I weighed this morning and I have put on another pound :(
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Every woman is different. Those numbers you see on the internet aren't realistic. If it makes you feel any better - I was wearing maternity clothes at 9 weeks! People started saying things to me like "Haven't you had that baby yet" when I was ONLY 6 months along! Talk about a hit to the ego!
    Just take care of yourself and understand that when you are pregnant, your body will do what it wishes. Just enjoy the ride. It will be over before you know it.
    jennyrx87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 08:21 AM
    I'm 18 weeks, and I've put on 12 lbs according to my doctors scale. I told my doctor I was really upset about it (I too look at the internet way too much) and was concerned for the health of both me and the child when it came to gaining all this weight. It seemed to be over night almost! I've had two doctors tell me that 12 lbs at 18 weeks is in the high end of the normal scale... yet still normal! I looked through everything I eat, because I know dieting is horrible and poisonous to the baby to lose, but found that juice drinks have high fructose corn syrup. Drinks always seem to be the sabotage! I eat healthy too, I was practically a vegetarian before I got pregnant... and yet still gaining the weight! My friends also say it's all in my belly (my clothes say otherwise!)... which I think they're being too nice. Just try to cut out your bad foods when you can.. and walk when you can. I too work at a job that is low on movement.. and I'm exhausted every day! It's just figuring out how to get just some walking in, and some of the bad food out. You are fine.. a pound a week is completely normal! Remember that this is a baby.. a gift from God.. and so many women wish they could be complaining about pregnancy weight as well. My friend gained 89lbs in her pregnancy and lost 50lbs after 2 months of delivery. It's the easiest to gain, and easiest to lose... just don't go on bed rest after delivery and it will go away :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 10 weeks pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I have been using Certain Dri Anti-perspirant. Is it okay to use when pregnant. I couldn't find any information about not using it when pregnant?

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

3-4 weeks pregnant.. . [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I went to the doctor about 5 days ago and found out than I'm 3-4 weeks pregnant and I'm really excited but The next day I staarted spotting so I went to the E.R. Cause it really worried me a lot and they did a lot of test and told me it is OK but it has been about 4 days now and I'm still kind...

I am 4 weeks pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

K what happened was I found out that I am pregnant but I had a little bit of pain on my right side so the doctor told me it was a blatter infection so he gave me some pills for it then a few days went by and the pain did not go away so I went to the walk in clinic again and the doctor told me it...

3 weeks Pregnant! [ 2 Answers ]

I'v been trying to have a baby with my partner and I'm 3 weeks pregnant can I have my period?

View more questions Search