Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omasonry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Head gasket vs rebuilt engine
    I have a 94 pontiac firebird. Is it better and cheaper to get my engine rebuilt or replace the head gasket? I was told my car is over heating and I need a head gasket and 2 freeze plugs.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Mar 21, 2008, 10:29 AM
    I would say replace the head gasket.

Or you could just buy another car.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Repairing the engine with headgasket would be relatively inexpensive compared to a total rebuild, barring any additional problems with your current engine.
    If it's overheating due to headgasket failure, did the repair shop include any type of warranty for the diagnosis? Did they include a new thermostat and inspect the remainder of the cooling system to insure you don't have pending issues?
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Mar 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
    It is quite inexpensive parts wise, but labor intensive. BUT, if the motor has a lot of miles and is pretty tired and worn out or is burning oil it may be worth your while to just buy a rebuilt long block. That consists of a rebuilt engine minus intake manifold, throttle body, alternator, starter, A/C, etc. which you take off your current engine and put on the new one. If you are not doing the work yourself, it will initially cost you more for the block and cost about the same for the labor to have all of the parts changed over by an on the side mechanic that it would have cost for the head gasket replacement, in addition to probably $200 to have it installed but you will have basically a brand new engine.

If it needs 2 freeze plugs you need to find out why. If they just rotted out then you are fine but if they are coming out or came out due to the coolant was so diluted or the wrong mixture that it froze and popped them out (that is their intended purpose) then you need to have the block checked out very carefully. I know someone in a similar circumstance whose engine froze and popped a couple of freeze plugs and had antifreeze in his oil so he had the head gaskets changed just to find out that the block was cracked in the waterjacket area between 2 cylinders. Money was already spent replacing the head gaskets and non-recoupable and obviously not by a very reputable mechanic because I spotted the crack right away during the next tear down once the head gasket didn't cure the problem. Also, if you are going through changing out 2 freeze plugs because they are bad, go the expensive of changing them all to prevent problems in the future with the ones that weren't replaced especially if they are rotted out as the others will suffer the same fate eventually.

My .02 cents worth. Short answer: It is cheaper to replace the head gaskets. :-)

BTW: Rebuilding the engine involves a complete tear down which means new head gaskets to put it back together so a rebuild is replacing the head gasket as well as machining, rebuilding, refreshing, replacing the rest of the internal engine components so unless you are doing the work yourself just find a reputable engine rebuilder near you and find out about a rebuilt long block, there is at least one in nearly every major city.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown head gasket! [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I have a blown head gasket. I would like to know if it would be best to get it fixed or get a new engine? Why does it cost so much to replace the head gaskets? If I decide to get a engine would it be better to get a new, rebuilt, or used engine?

New head gasket [ 5 Answers ]

Is there anyway of knowing if the head gasket is torqued right?? This time the first time I torqued it 30lbs the second time I torqued it to 50. The chilton book says 22lbs the first time and 47 the second, but the car has 170k and the head has been serviced and shaved. It seems to have better...

Head gasket [ 3 Answers ]

My head gasket is leaking, my car seems to be running a little hot, does this mean that my gasket is about to blow?; also I'm no longer getting heat :(

Head Gasket direction. [ 2 Answers ]

Sirs: Briggs&Stratton14HP_OHV294440Series_Type 1042A1,DateCode96013111. Need to know which surface of the graphite head gasket go against block? Gasket set from Briggs has embossed ridge(3/16"wide)around piston opening. Just need to know which way it goes. If needed a photo can be provided....

This has to do with a Rebuilt Engine and a Transmission [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed a rebuilt engine and transmission, the engine is a 5.0L V8 (302), the transmission is an AOD (automatic overdrive). They came out of a 1979 ford thunderbird. The engine and transmission both operate at peak performance. But I am having a problem and I'm somewhat confused...

View more questions Search