Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xo_babycakes_ox Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Depressed after one day?
    I recently bought a Boarder Collie X Lab and she is only 9 weeks old. My sister was having her wedding and since the whole family was either in the wedding party or parent of the bride no one would be home from 7am - 2am. I did not want to leave the dog in the kennel all day so I wanted to leave her with my friend who bought her with me. She has a Shih Tzu and a Rotweiler X Lab X Hound X German Shepard. They both get along with my dog well so I had no problem leaving her there for the day; however, when we picked her up in the morning, she seemed very depressed and not like herself. From the moment I bought her she was bouncing off the walls and very friendly and full of energy but when she came home she just lied around and slept the whole day. She was eating normally but she seemed to change extremely over the 24 hrs. She started peeing in the floor again and her tail wasn't wagging even if you got right up the her and started rubbing her belly. When we'd take her outside she would sniff around then lie down immediately. She wouldn't play and she was scared to do anything she would before whether she was allowed to or not. She wasn't chewing on our shoes or begging for food at the table or anything like that. I am used to having her follow me everywhere but she just lied there all day. This morning she has more energy but she still takes a lot of naps and is still a little off.
    Is this depression? Or is she sick? Or was it just a faze? Does anyone know?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Was this before you took her to the fire works show and she pooped and peed from fright or after?
    xo_babycakes_ox Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Lol that was before. The fire works was last night and today she's acting better and more normal.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 03:32 PM
    She may have just been a bit overwhelmed by the new environment.Also one of the dogs may have frightened her. I think with puppys at 9 weeks you have to basically put them out when you notice the behavior that they show when they are getting ready to pee. I do not think at this age she has control over her bladder. We have a person that goes by labman and he has great information on Potty training your puppy. As well as other types of training. It would also do you good to go to a website that explains the behaviors of border collies. I hope that you know that they are very high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise and positive training.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
    A tired puppy is a good puppy. The day may have been the most fun for her since she left her litter. If the other dogs were young enough to enjoy play, they may have gone non stop. We frequently accept such guests plus when our daughter comes for the weekend, she brings her puppy. The puppies always behave very well anywhere we take them after playing together.

There is a possibility she was exposed to something. Keep an eye on her and maybe call the vet if she isn't back to normal tomorrow.

See the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    For other info you may find helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm so depressed [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been going out for 8 months. Going out with her have been the best days of my life, and I would do anything to have them back. After 7 months she started to act different, so one night I called her and told her why I am so sad and I got to the question if she even loves me...

Could I be pregnant if I miss a day, the day after ovulation? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been on birth control for 7 months and I take my pill everyday at 7:00 almost every day. I accidentally skipped one of my days. But the day that I skipped, stupidly I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend that day. It was around the time of my ovulation time but the day I supposidly...

Depressed boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

OK... My boyfriend has been put on Wellbutrin XL and Trazodone HCL... He has been diagnosed as depressed and maybe Bipolar... Anyway a psychiatrist blames it partly on his work... crazy hours he is the head stocker at grocery store... Can work trigger this? He has always been moody even as a child...

I think I might be depressed [ 5 Answers ]

I am just going to get it out of the way straight off: I broke up with this girl almost a year ago. She was a great person but she left me for any number of reasons, but the bottom line was apparently that I wasn't good enough for her in any way. Now almost a year later, having gone through that,...

Please help me very depressed! [ 11 Answers ]

Believe this it's the short version but doesn't appear that way: Adult son moved away and did not come and say goodbye to me. He has never done this to me ever. And he has moved away from here many times before. I would not lend him money this time! He is a son from my first marriage. No other...

View more questions Search