Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pkohli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 05:34 PM
    F1- H1B Social Security and Medicare refund
    I read through some the posts, I was working on OPT (F1 Visa) from Jan - Oct 2005 and was on H1-B from Oct 1, 2005 onwards. It seems since I did not complete 183 days on H1-B I still qualify as a non resident and should
    File 1040NR or 1040NREZ with the standard deductions (from India).
    Am I also applicable for a refund of the medicare and social security that has been deducted from Oct - Dec 2005 while I was on H1-B ? If yes, could you advise how to go about it (what forms to fill etc).

Thanks a lot ! All the information here is very helpful !:)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2006, 07:34 PM
    Yes, you should be able to claim the refund by filing Form 843.

Download IRS Pub 519 from www.irs.org and read pages 45-47 for the procedure and supporting documentation you will need.
    vikramdesai Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Hi pkohli,

I don't think you are entitled a refund of the SS and Medicare taxed while you were on H1B (Oct 2005 onwards)

You can only claim for a refund if your SS and Medicare were withelf while you were on OPT... that is Jan 2005 to Oct2005

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    pkohli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Hi Vikram,

I think you are right, I talked to my employer and they said the same thing that I would not be entitled for a refund from oct-dec 2005 while I was on H1B.

Thanks for the response !
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2006, 10:47 PM
    You are both right! I mis-read the posting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social Security Refund of Contributions [ 3 Answers ]

I am a green card holder (UK citizen) and my 40 quarters of working will be completed shortly. However, I might have to return to the UK next year for family reasons - I understand that I can get a lump sum refund of my contributions if I leave the USA permanently. Is this true? If it is, are...

Social Security Refund for Dual Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hello , I was on OPT status till SEPT40 2005 and from Oct1st2005 my status changed from OPT to H1. My company still withdrew my Social security and medicare taxes and asked me to get it back while failing for taxes. I am an Indian citizen and I guess I come under Dual Status and can file the...

Social Security Refund when leaving USA [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US. For 3 years under H1-B visa and I returned to my home country in 2005. Long time ago, I heard that in this case, social security tax and medicare tax can be refunded. Is that true? How can I claim for the refund? And is there anything else I can claim for in this case? Thank you.

View more questions Search