Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drnewknee Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 05:04 PM
    Wiring Under Cabinet Lights
    We are doing some remodeling in our kitchen and since the cabinets and the backsplash are gone we would like to install under cabinet lights. We don't want all the cables showing, so we would like to hardwire them. We have conduit in our house, not Romex. We would like to put them all on a dimmer switch. Also our cabinet run is separated by our cooktop and range hood, one side is five feet and the other seven feet.
    So here are the questions…

What is the best and/or easiest way to install the lights?

Do we still need an outlet somewhere to power the lights even if we're trying to hardwire them?

Do we need to hardwire each light individually or just hardwire the first one and chain link it to the next light?

Could someone maybe post an installation or wiring diagram? Please?

Thank you for all your help!
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Jan 19, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Grab power from the junction box in the ceiling light fixture. Run the 3-wire cable through the ceiling & down the wall to the dimmer switch. Run the dimmer switch output to the wall behind the lights. (You may have to route it back up through the ceiling.) Run the 3-wire cable the last light in the sequence. At appropriate distances, tap off this cable with 3-way splices to the other individual lights. This places all the lights in parallel to prevent 1 failed light from killng the rest of the lights. Fluorescent lights are recommended for lower power consumption from the circuit breaker that is already powering the ceiling lite & possibly other devices.
    Attached Images

drnewknee Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 11:50 AM

Thanks bones! I thonk this is what we need.
    woodworker3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 08:20 AM
    I have a black wire and a white . Can you show me a simple drawing of what wirers get connected to what wirers
    woodworker3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by woodworker3 View Post
    I have a black wire and a white . Can you show me a simple drawing of what wirers get connected to what wirers
    I need a simple diagram
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Mar 11, 2013, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by woodworker3 View Post
    I need a simple diagram
    What are you trying to hook up?
    You probably need to start a new thread, as you have tacked onto an old one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard wiring under cabinet lighting [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I really need some help with under cabinet lighting. I posted earlier this week regarding the link below that suggests cutting the plug off the lights I bought and wiring directly to an outlet. I received a couple of replies stating this is wrong, but didn't receive any further help. If...

Under cabinet lighting wiring (undercabinet) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all! I've just gone through every undercabinet lighting question and none are simple, easy and step-by-step for that "beginning" person. And yikes... no pictures! Let's change that! ;^) (to give respect, the best straightforward explanation on the wiring is found here.) So here are...

Wiring under cabinet lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased 110V fluorescent lighting for mounting under our kitchen cabinets. The lights came with a plug. I read on a DIY website that it is fine to cut the plug off and wire directly to an outlet inside the wall. Is this true? If so, do I simply wire straight into the back of an outlet? And...

Under Cabinet Lights (puck style) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have just undergone the kitchen remodel. It is a galley style kitchen with the stove and a couple of cabinets and the left, and the sink and a bunch of cabinets on the right. I want to install under cabinet lights on both sides of the kitchen. I am aware that I may need 2 or 3 sets...

Wiring question 14awg and Cabinet lights [ 3 Answers ]

I had an electrician install some under cabinet puck lights. The puck lights were a last minute addition to the recessed lights he installed. After watching him install the recessed lights I thought it looked easy so I put some more in myself in another room. I got all kind of books and read...

View more questions Search