Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smuirragui Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 11:26 PM
    In NY - Will Court Still Determine Child Support if Father Pays Something
    My father's son and I do not currently have anything in writing regarding support. We verbally agreed to split the bills and for him to give $75 a week for the first month. We were also to reassess the weekly amount after the initial month.

Here are some of the problems:

* I have to constantly remind him to put in the payment.
    * If there is a dispute about a bill, he basically decides if he should or shouldn't pay so I get the shaft if he doesn't think he should.
    * He and I don't communicate well so we inevitably get into arguments.

The baby is currently under insurance because my premium was ridiculously high.

My Question - Can I still go to court in NY to assess child support? My intent is simply for the court to determine what is the right amount (as I have the feeling $75/week is not based on what he does for a living) and to enforce it so he and I don't have to argue about it anymore.

Does anyone have any feedback/experiences to share?

Thanks ahead of time!
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 02:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuirragui View Post

My Question - Can I still go to court in NY to assess child support? My intent is simply for the court to determine what is the right amount (as I have the feeling $75/week is not based on what he does for a living) and to enforce it so he and I don't have to argue about it anymore.

Does anyone have any feedback/experiences to share?

Thanks ahead of time!
    Yes-at anytime... The Court will follow s.c Child support guidelines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the court make non-biological father pay child support? [ 24 Answers ]

Here's the situation: My husband cheated on me in early 2004. This past year he found out through a letter from the child support office that he may have fathered a child with the woman. He went in for paternity test & he is the father. The kid is 4 years old now. The reason child support came...

Who pays child support if both parents has a child [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My wife is in a situation were her ex husband won custody of one child who is 16 and she has one child who is 18 about to go to college and works part time would either be liable to pay child support in this situation please help.

Do I have to go to court to leave state if the father doesn't pay child support [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know cause he says I do but I checked into it and they say I don't have to take him to court unless he was paying child support before I left I'm so confused

Father pays child support, but mother wants more? [ 8 Answers ]

My cousin lives in NY and mother of his child lives in NJ. He pays $550 a month in child support but she wants more. He makes around 550-650 a week after taxes, but is afraid he will lose everything if chil support amount is raise. It might sound like a lie but he barly surviving because NY is...

View more questions Search