Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetbaby116 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Poison Ivy & Type & Diabetes
    :confused: My boyfriend is a Firefighter and was on a call the other day and came in contact with Poison Ivy and he is a Type 2 Diabetic, I was wanting to know if we should be worried about the Poison Ivy or not?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Poison Ivy Dermatitis
    Poison Ivy Dermatitis

"Leaves of three - let it be!" aptly describes this woody vine with 2-4" leaflets in groups of three. The center leaf has a longer stem than the other two. Poison ivy clings to tree trunks and other vertical surfaces with hair-like aerial rootlets that grow out of the stem. If a climbing surface isn't available, poison ivy will grow as a free standing shrub. The leaves of poison ivy turn shades of red and purple in fall.

Poison ivy is caused by an allergic reaction (allergic contact dermatitis) to the oily coating that covers of these plants. The resinous coating is called "urushiol". These are called Rhus plants after the old scientific name (it was changed to toxidendron). A person doesn't have to come in direct contact with the leaves, roots, or branches of Rhus plants to get the rash. One can get it from contaminated clothing. Even in winter the leafless stems and vines can cause the familiar skin rash.

No one is born with sensitivity to Poison ivy, but if exposed enough most people become sensitized at some time and remain allergic. A sensitivity can change at any time. There's no way to desensitize people allergic to Rhus plants. Dogs and other animals are not affected by poison ivy, but people can get the rash by petting a dog that's been exposed.

The rash itself is not contagious, and the fluid in the blisters does not spread the rash. Poison ivy dermatitis appears as soon as four hours or as long as 10 days after the exposure, depending on individual sensitivity and the amount exposure. As the rash appears, any sensitivity a person had begins to increase. One starts to react to the slightest traces of a few molecules on the skin. This causes the rash to appear to be spreading, even after treatment has begun.

Poison ivy dermatitis rashes are self-limited; sooner or later they clear up without treatment. Letting nature take its course with mild poison ivy dermatitis is reasonable, but severe rashes need treatment to ease the misery and disability they cause. The very first time this rash is gotten, it lasts longer than a repeat attack, often 3 or 4 weeks.

Cortisone type preparations taken by mouth are dramatically effective in treating Poison ivy dermatitis rash. It's safe to take these drugs for a short period (2-3 weeks). If a person has a peptic ulcer, high blood pressure, or diabetes, cortisone should be taken only under close medical supervision. Improvement of the rash should be prompt and steady. It depends on getting enough cortisone.

Blisters and itching will improve with moist compresses. Make a batch of "Burows solution" by putting 1 or 2 "Dome-Boro" tablets in a pint of water (available from a pharmacist). Apply this to the blistering areas for 20 minutes two or three times daily. Follow the compresses with the prescribed cream if any. Very hot water stops the itch, but is not good for the skin or the rash.

When the swelling has gone down, stop the compresses and apply only the cream. Cream applied before the blisters and swelling go down are not effective alone. One may bathe or shower as usual, but avoid hot water.

Poison Ivy can be partially prevented by application of "Ivy Block" lotion before going in the woods, and washing off an exposed area with "Technu" liquid as soon as exposure is detected. In the woods, rub the Jewelweed plant on exposed skin. The tannins in this plant may bind the resin and prevent the rash. This does no harm, but is only effective within 15 minutes of exposure. Clothing, pets, and tools need to be washed or one may become re-exposed to the resin.
    robb1mcg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 08:19 AM

I have type 2 diabetes and recently caught poison ivy, what treatments are available for me?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 03:39 PM

You should keep applying calamine lotion to the blisters as often as you can, i.e. several times a day.

I have a patch of poison ivy or poison sumac in my yard and have tried unsuccessfully to pull it out. I pull it out each year and it keeps coming back. I got into this small patch about a week ago and still have the blisters to prove it. I put calamine lotion on my blisters many times a day to dry it up.

Oh, I would like to correct the misconception that poison ivy is not able to spread. I originally got the poison ivy on my left wrist (while pulling out the plant). I sleep on my left side with my left wrist touching my right shoulder. I now have 2 separate patches of blisters on my right shoulder where my left wrist rests when I sleep.

Also, if you scratch the blisters DO NOT touch your eyes or your face or you will spread the poison ivy onto your face and can actually get it in your eyes. A friend of mine had poison ivy in her eyes and had hell to pay until it got cleared up (very expensive treatment by the way). So, yes you can spread it not only to yourself but to other people who are sensitive to poison ivy. Also, wash your bedding more than usual and don't wear the same nightclothes 2 nights in a row.
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Firmbeliever "The rash itself is not contagious, and the fluid in the blisters does not spread the rash."

I didn't give you a reddie as you had other, good, informative info on poison ivy but I just have to comment that this is incorrect.

This is totally incorrect. The fluid DOES spread the rash.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 04:41 AM

Twink... could you give me the reddie, in case others don't see your correction post after seeing my reply.

I don't mind reddies when my facts are wrong :).
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 12:21 PM

Firm - I hate to give you a red, but I did just in case someone comes along reading this and thinks that the fluid is not contagious! I'm still battling my poison ivy on my shoulder. The rash walked down my left wrist onto my forearm. I must have spread the fluid inadvertently when I bathed or scratched.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Firm - I hate to give you a red, but I did just in case someone comes along reading this and thinks that the fluid is not contagious!! I'm still battling my poison ivy on my shoulder. The rash walked down my left wrist onto my forearm. I must have spread the fluid inadvertently when I bathed or scratched.
    Aw... hope you are feeling better soon.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Aw...hope you are feeling better soon.
    Thanks FB. I should be "better" real soon.

I kept wondering why the poison ivy kept hanging around after a week. Then I looked at the expiration date of my calamine lotion. It was from 2004! Went and bought a product that was Calamine plus itch reliever. Ingredients are Calamine 8%, Pramoxine HC! 1% and applied that last night. In the morning my rash was just about gone. Tonight It looks like it's on it's last legs hanging around.

Maybe I should add that be sure that your calamine lotion is not out of date.

I don't particularly care for the "clear" calamine lotion. Somehow that stuff does not work on me.
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post

Maybe I should add that be sure that your calamine lotion is not out of date.
    You should add that.
    patty48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2013, 01:24 PM
    I have poison ivy and my boyfriend has diabetes he can't catch that off me can I told him no but the pharmacy said yes there not to bright here in the state I live in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a home remedy that can be used to dry up poison ivy quickly? [ 7 Answers ]

Is there any home remedy that my son can use to dry up poison ivy Blisters quickly? It seems to be spreading.

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

Rid my flower beds of poison ivy [ 1 Answers ]

For the last 3 years, I've been battling poison ivy in my flower beds, not a lot, but enough to break me out! I've sprayed, cut off and sprayed, used bleach and many other remedies but every year it comes back. Any tried and true remedies out there? Thanks

3 yr. Old & type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

View more questions Search