Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dominic0904 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Dogs do "crazy" thing when being walked
    Hey all its me asking advice on my two loveable 4 year old Jack Russels again.

Every time we go on a walk, sometimes I don't mind them tugging every so often and what not. But the worst and the most annoying is when they see another dog, animal or even person ((though its not as bad when with people)) at a distance ((maybe 10 to 15 meters away)) but they go abit... er crazy. They pull and whine to get closer. But then I try to tug them away the resist. The main thing that I am going to talk about is the "attacking" ((though I ain't sure that’s the right word to use here but I will just use it))

They more or less attack each-other and this isn't like a playful nip on the ear or leg. This seems like full teeth showing high pitched... not sure what to call them, they ain't snarls or growls but noises. Though they don't actually latch onto each-other with a intent to harm or hurt. It really scares me sometimes and causes a very great deal of embarrassment when people are around to see this. Its always the bigger female attacks the smaller male. It usual causes him to go on his back in that submission position or whatever. But he doesn't just stay quiet he reacts just as bad, making the odd noises, showing his teeth and snapping at her as well.

My vet told me that it's a dominance thing, that she needs to put him in his place around other animals or something similar, but around a squirrel she needs to do that?

I want to state that they NEVER do this at home, they love each other at home, always playing, sleeping together and what not, this ONLY happens when we walk and a dog, animal or person walks by or they see them at a distance.

How can I stop this? Because it saddens me that I can't walk my dogs in the park because of the fear and embarrassment of what they will do when they see another dog.

I don’t know should I use those leashes that spray air or water when they hear the dog bark or something?

Any help or advice to stop this would be GREATLY appreiciated.

-Dominic0904
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 09:20 AM

Honestly, the easiest way for you to fix this problem would be to go to an obedience school.

That way you have the opportunity to work with a professional trainer as well as the advantage of being able to train him around other dogs at the class (very important in this case)
    They need to learn how to behave when other dogs are around and also general obedience such as heel and sit.

For a general obedence school it is not as expensive as people think.
    One on one classes can be pricey but not the group classes.

Have a look in your local phone book for dog trainers or schools in your area.

Sep 4, 2009, 09:27 AM

Thanks, but I ain't sure if they will break the habbit cause it has been happening for a while. Though not as much since I know where to walk where dog owner's don't usually go.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 09:30 AM

You would be surprised actually, contrary to the saying, you actually can teach an old dog new tricks ;)

It might take a while but I think you would be able to make them more controllable on their walks.
    Learning the command "heel" would be your first step, teaching them to stay by your side.

You can start from home if you don't want to go to a school, just practice heel and sit at home.

Then when you go for walks, keep practicing... get him to just stop and sit next to you regularly.

If you have any friends with dogs it would be a great help as once you have mastered those 2 commands you can start introducing a dog walking past at a distance.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Sep 4, 2009, 09:57 AM

Well I am going to give you some advice I have seen of the Animal Planet show "It's Me or the Dog" that I have seen help dozens of times on dogs with the same behavior problems.

First try teaching your dog the "Watch me" command. Get some treats, whatever gets them really motivated. While you are still at home teach them tell them "Watch me" and bring the treat near your eyes so they look you in the face. When they watch you then give them the treat. When they really get the hang of it then you can try, one at a time at first to walk them. Anytime you see another person put the dog into a "watch me", you may even have to place yourself in front of the dog between it and the party of interest. Do not let the dog have the treat until it calmly watches you and not the person. They key here is to redirect the focus from the target to you.

You must also learn to keep your own emotions and voice in check. If you get tense when you see something that upsets your dog then your dog will sense that and it will only fuel it more. You must also keep your voice firm and even. No yelling or stressed tones. Keep it positive and fun.

If my explanations here confused you then I would suggest watching a few episodes of the show I mentioned. Many if not most of the dogs Victoria Stillwell trains have problems close to this.

Sep 4, 2009, 10:36 AM

The funny thing is that they are more or less OK around dogs. I don't think there has been a instance in which they were physically aggressive to another dog. Once they sniff them and send at least a minute ((really seems like that's all that is needed)) I can just gently tug them away to continue walking.
    azdesertchick Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Sep 4, 2009, 11:26 AM
    I totally agree with Shazz on this one obedience training will not only help you to manage their outbursts but also give them another outlet to burn off some energy in a healthy way. I have an "older dog" who is set in his ways but taking him to obedience class really helped and he enjoyed the atmosphere he knew learning new things meant rewards and lots of affection plus.. lol he loved the positive reaction from others standing nearby he's a bit of an attention seeker.

Silverfox also had some great ideas and if the watch me commnad doesn't work I also watched on another dog show they used an old loud squawky bike horn but only to get their attention away from their intense focus on the other animals as soon as they would stop they'd give a command of similar to watch me and when the dogs obeyed they got the treat. By the way if they get along great with other dogs try taking them to a dog park where they can play and interract with other dogs off on their own so maybe the alpha female will get a little desensitized in the way she responds around other animals. But of course only if you're confident because they sense your fear and hesitation. Good luck! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

"Life Don't Mean A Thing" Artist & Title? [ 1 Answers ]

Need the artist and song title of this mid-80s song that has a nice, happy reggae-type lilt to which the lyrics go (going by memory now): Without you, you know life don't mean a thing without you, And there'll be no song to sing. I wonder 'round like a lonely soul, Nowhere to go nothing to do....

Do I tell her how I feel? The crazy "exes ex is suicidal" thing is ending. [ 2 Answers ]

So, Some of you may know my story from my previous post here :"My exes ex is suicidal." Here is my last question her: Okay, So my ex girlfriends ex boyfriend is suicidal. We will call the girlfriend 'Mary' and her ex boyfriend 'John,' and myslef 'Joe.' Mary went out with John for 4 months....

80's Burger King Commercial "Aint nothing but the Real Thing Baby" [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find the 80's Burger King commercial that has the slogan "Aint nothing but the real thing baby" It's a commercial for their chicken tenders! It has teenage girls in a phone booth eating them, then a husband with Christmas gifts bringing some home for his family. It...

View more questions Search