Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    archie911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Signed a lease for 1 year and found the house is roach infested
    I signed a year lease with a privately owned landlord for a condo in New Jersey. After moving into the apt, found out the place is heavily infested with roached, the paint is really bad and the condition of the house is not livable. This was not evident from the initial looks before signing the lease as somebody was living in the condo.
    On the first night, could not tolerate and next day moved out to a short-term furnished rental for a week for landord to clean, paint and fix all problems.
    After 13 days of payment from my pocket for the short-term rental, we moved back into the condo and though the condo is freshly painted and most problems are fixed, the roaches are still there. The pest control company says it has been a heavy infestation for a very long time and will take time to be completely treated.
    After 1 night of spending in the condo, asked the landlord to move us out of the house, arrange for a hotel till we find a place, or compensate us for all the hassle (menal and financial) that we have been through.
    He is insisting that we knew the condition of the house before move-in, and if now we want to move out of the condo, it is our fault and he will not do anything and not even will return the full deposit back.
    Can I go to the court and file a case against him for moving us into a worst condition apartment, not compensating us for the trouble and now that we cannot stay and need to move out immediately for reason of family hygiene with a 3 month old baby, he is not even arranging anything.
    We have spent more than the rent of the house living outside, all our kitchen has been destroyed by roaches, and now we need to move to a hotel till we find a place to move.
    What is the best route? Please advise
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 14, 2009, 04:55 PM

Sorry, did not know paint was bad, ( did you not even go in )

Heavy roach, did not go in and look.
    ** OK may have been hiding if you have them.

Not liable, why except for roaches.

So until you work out with landlord, you hire someone to come in ( about 75 dollars here in Atlanta) or you get a few bug bombs and kill them??

So except for some bugs that you can get rid of , why is it not livable,
    As for the paint yep you should have seen it.

You can move out and try to sue him for the deposit only, but you better have documneted how bad it is, and that he has refused to spray for bugs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House infested by. ANTS? [ 3 Answers ]

It's really weird, but every spring/summer ants find they'r way into the house! I see them everywhere, and I have poot ant poison all around my house, and I have fogged the place... I don't know what to do!

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

I co-signed a 4 year lease and want out [ 2 Answers ]

So my girlfriend and I signed a 4 year lease together in August. We thought we would last forever and we didn't. So now I want to move out but need to find a way to get my name off the lease. I called the landlord and her only suggestion was that someone else move in in my place and sign their...

Landlord selling house 4 months into 2 year lease [ 3 Answers ]

Do I have any legal rights? How long so I have before I have to physically move out ot the house? Do I still need to pay rent until I move out? He has partial last month and a cleaning deposit and he is about to turn the house over to the bank in foreclosure! I live in Arizona

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

View more questions Search